![]() |
| Gang Land News |
Information from Lucchese Associate Burton 'Downtown Burt' Kaplan (1933-2009).
Kaplan, a member of the Family's 19th Hole crew, officially became a cooperating witness in March 2005.
The following year he provided key testimony against Former NYPD Detectives Stephen Caracappa and Louis Eppolito.
Caracappa and Eppolito were both convicted of Federal racketeering charges, including involvement in multiple Family murders, and died while serving their life sentences.
The story of Kaplan and the so-called Mafia Cops has been the subject of many articles, books and documentaries. (Most recommended being Guy Lawson and William Oldham's Brotherhoods: The True Story of Two Cops Who Murdered For The Mafia published in 2006.)
This post focuses mostly on the LCN-related aspects of the case.
Kaplan, a member of the Family's 19th Hole crew, officially became a cooperating witness in March 2005.
The following year he provided key testimony against Former NYPD Detectives Stephen Caracappa and Louis Eppolito.
Caracappa and Eppolito were both convicted of Federal racketeering charges, including involvement in multiple Family murders, and died while serving their life sentences.
The story of Kaplan and the so-called Mafia Cops has been the subject of many articles, books and documentaries. (Most recommended being Guy Lawson and William Oldham's Brotherhoods: The True Story of Two Cops Who Murdered For The Mafia published in 2006.)
This post focuses mostly on the LCN-related aspects of the case.
Early Affiliation (Mid-to-Late 1960s)
![]() |
| B. Kaplan (Sep. 1966) |
Around the mid-1960s Kaplan, by his own later admission a 'degenerate' gambler at the time, became acquainted with Lucchese Soldier Chris 'Christy Tick' Furnari.
![]() |
| C. Furnari (1962) |
Later testified: "[At the time] I owed five or six different shylocks money. I was being pressed and I -- my wife's father was a New York City policeman, and he went to one of the fellows by the name of Charlie Parasella and asked him to help me consolidate these loans where I could pay him, and Charlie Parasella made me an appointment with Chris Furnari...A little later on I became a little bit of friends with him, but he really didn't trust me enough to become associated with him because I was still gambling. But he did reach out and got these people to make a payout with me where there was no more interest and the money was coming off of the top, off of the principal...Later on I opened up businesses and I gave Mr. Furnari some small pay out of it...[This was from] probably 1973 until he went away in 1986." ('Charlie Pasarella' might be a reference to Colombo Member Charles 'Charlie Moose' Panarella [1922-2017]).
A few years before meeting Furnari, and a couple of decades before becoming involved with Caracappa and Eppolito, Kaplan helped dispose of an unidentified murder victim on behalf of another former cop: "Wes Daly was a retired New York City detective that was involved with me...I took the body in 1960-something, like early sixties, up to Connecticut under his direction...I met another friend of Wes's up there who was supposed to have [a] grave dug up for him and the weather was too cold. He couldn't dig into the ground. And he asked me if I would go with him and throw the body in the water. And I did."
Furnari was an Acting Captain by the late 1960s and official by 1977.
A few years before meeting Furnari, and a couple of decades before becoming involved with Caracappa and Eppolito, Kaplan helped dispose of an unidentified murder victim on behalf of another former cop: "Wes Daly was a retired New York City detective that was involved with me...I took the body in 1960-something, like early sixties, up to Connecticut under his direction...I met another friend of Wes's up there who was supposed to have [a] grave dug up for him and the weather was too cold. He couldn't dig into the ground. And he asked me if I would go with him and throw the body in the water. And I did."
Furnari was an Acting Captain by the late 1960s and official by 1977.
Lucchese Associate (1970s)
During the 1970s Kaplan involved in sale of stolen property, drug trafficking and other crimes.
He also began a legitimate clothing business that grew substantially over the following two decades.
![]() |
| A. Casso (1972) |
By mid-to-late 1970s acquainted with Lucchese Soldier Anthony 'Gas / Gaspipe' Casso, a member of Furnari's crew.
Asked about the Gaspipe nickname, Kaplan later testified: "There's a few different thoughts about that. One that his father worked for the gas company. Another one is the story that Gas hit somebody in a gasoline station. He had the name when I met him so I don't really know."
Asked about the Gaspipe nickname, Kaplan later testified: "There's a few different thoughts about that. One that his father worked for the gas company. Another one is the story that Gas hit somebody in a gasoline station. He had the name when I met him so I don't really know."
![]() |
| L. D'Avanzo Published in Staten Island Advance (Nov. 1977) |
Around 1976-1977 got into marijuana business both with Casso and with Lewis D'Avanzo, a prolific Brooklyn-based car thief and close associate of the Gambino Family's DeMeo Crew. Kaplan later testified: "Louie Davanza brought us some marijuana. We didn't even know what it was, and we made some inquiries and we got some people to buy it and then we got some marijuana - I got some marijuana from Anthony Casso." (D'Avanzo was shot and killed during an altercation with FBI Agents in October 1977.)
Thomas Galpine, who began associating with Kaplan around 1973 at the age of sixteen and who later supervised Kaplan's drug business, flipped about a month after his mentor in 2005.
During his testimony against the Detectives, Galpine admitted his status as an outsider in LCN: "I don't know much about the Mafia. I ain't in the Mafia...I don't know their rules and regulations. I don't know if there is a book. Maybe there is a book they got to read, I don't know."
He nevertheless began meeting and doing business with various LCN figures through Kaplan: "Christy Tick, Gaspipe, Big Tommy DeNardo, [Roy] DeMayo, Louis HaHa , Benny Eggs, a lot of different people over the years. Vic Amuso...In the '70s, I knew Anthony [Casso] was an organized crime figure and we were receiving large amounts of marijuana from Anthony...Later on, [he] even moved up higher in the ranks and Anthony was a pretty powerful guy and had a lot of clout, let's put [it] that way and we were engaged in illegal business with him."
(Vittorio 'Vic' Amuso, Gaspipe Casso [1942-2020] and 'Big Tommy' DiDonato [1926-1987] were Lucchese Soldiers in the Furnari crew. Amuso and Casso later became the Family's Boss and Underboss respectively. Venero 'Benny Eggs' Mangano [1921-2017] was Genovese Underboss and Louis 'Louie HaHa' Attanasio a Bonanno Captain. Gambino Acting Captain Roy DeMeo [1940-1983] headed the aforementioned DeMeo Crew that included among its associates Kaplan's pot supplier Lewis D'Avanzo.)
In October 1979 Roy DeMeo and his superior, Gambino Captain Anthony 'Nino' Gaggi, shot and killed James Eppolito and his son James Jr. on Family orders.
The senior Eppolito's nephews included NYPD Detective Louis Eppolito as well as Gambino Associate Frank Santora Jr.; it was Santora Jr. who brought Louis Eppolito and his partner Stephen Caracappa into the employ of Casso and Kaplan.
Partners in Kaplan's marijuana business included one Donald Main, who was subsequently caught stealing. Galpine:
"
Thomas Galpine, who began associating with Kaplan around 1973 at the age of sixteen and who later supervised Kaplan's drug business, flipped about a month after his mentor in 2005.
During his testimony against the Detectives, Galpine admitted his status as an outsider in LCN: "I don't know much about the Mafia. I ain't in the Mafia...I don't know their rules and regulations. I don't know if there is a book. Maybe there is a book they got to read, I don't know."
He nevertheless began meeting and doing business with various LCN figures through Kaplan: "Christy Tick, Gaspipe, Big Tommy DeNardo, [Roy] DeMayo, Louis HaHa , Benny Eggs, a lot of different people over the years. Vic Amuso...In the '70s, I knew Anthony [Casso] was an organized crime figure and we were receiving large amounts of marijuana from Anthony...Later on, [he] even moved up higher in the ranks and Anthony was a pretty powerful guy and had a lot of clout, let's put [it] that way and we were engaged in illegal business with him."
(Vittorio 'Vic' Amuso, Gaspipe Casso [1942-2020] and 'Big Tommy' DiDonato [1926-1987] were Lucchese Soldiers in the Furnari crew. Amuso and Casso later became the Family's Boss and Underboss respectively. Venero 'Benny Eggs' Mangano [1921-2017] was Genovese Underboss and Louis 'Louie HaHa' Attanasio a Bonanno Captain. Gambino Acting Captain Roy DeMeo [1940-1983] headed the aforementioned DeMeo Crew that included among its associates Kaplan's pot supplier Lewis D'Avanzo.)
In October 1979 Roy DeMeo and his superior, Gambino Captain Anthony 'Nino' Gaggi, shot and killed James Eppolito and his son James Jr. on Family orders.
The senior Eppolito's nephews included NYPD Detective Louis Eppolito as well as Gambino Associate Frank Santora Jr.; it was Santora Jr. who brought Louis Eppolito and his partner Stephen Caracappa into the employ of Casso and Kaplan.
Partners in Kaplan's marijuana business included one Donald Main, who was subsequently caught stealing. Galpine:
"
We were in a suit business at the time and we were involved a little with jeans. We had a big customer in Bellsville, Maryland, and I used to go once or twice a month to deliver suits to the customer. We had a small van type truck.
I loaded the truck. I left to go to Maryland and I came back because I forgot my wallet or something in my car. When I pulled up to the warehouse, when I turned the corner, Donnie [Main] and another guy Tommy Camatta were loading cases of jeans into a station wagon, and they acted surprised and a little scared because I came upon them. They were stealing from the warehouse.
Donnie was a partner of Burt. And that resulted in me, when I came back on Sunday, I told Burt that I thought Donnie was stealing, and that was the end of their partnership.
...They had another partner named Pete Morello or Petey Morello. Petey took Donnie out of the warehouse, I believe, by gunpoint or whatever. He didn't kill him or nothing, he just took him out. I guess Donnie lost all of the money he had invested in the business because he was cheating Burt.
[Later I spoke with Donnie and he told me] he wished he had someone around him that was as loyal to him as I was to Burt, but he wasn't satisfied with what was going on, and he doesn't hold it against me. And at that time he told me that I was around a guy that could be getting killed. Do myself a favor and stay away from him.
I loaded the truck. I left to go to Maryland and I came back because I forgot my wallet or something in my car. When I pulled up to the warehouse, when I turned the corner, Donnie [Main] and another guy Tommy Camatta were loading cases of jeans into a station wagon, and they acted surprised and a little scared because I came upon them. They were stealing from the warehouse.
Donnie was a partner of Burt. And that resulted in me, when I came back on Sunday, I told Burt that I thought Donnie was stealing, and that was the end of their partnership.
...They had another partner named Pete Morello or Petey Morello. Petey took Donnie out of the warehouse, I believe, by gunpoint or whatever. He didn't kill him or nothing, he just took him out. I guess Donnie lost all of the money he had invested in the business because he was cheating Burt.
[Later I spoke with Donnie and he told me] he wished he had someone around him that was as loyal to him as I was to Burt, but he wasn't satisfied with what was going on, and he doesn't hold it against me. And at that time he told me that I was around a guy that could be getting killed. Do myself a favor and stay away from him.
"
(In May 1981 Main was wounded by sniper fire in an unrelated incident. He may have then been associating with Bonanno Member Frank Lupo [1925-1983]).
(In May 1981 Main was wounded by sniper fire in an unrelated incident. He may have then been associating with Bonanno Member Frank Lupo [1925-1983]).
FPC Allenwood (Feb. 1981 - Mar. 1983)
Kaplan was convicted in a scheme to manufacture quaaludes and received at Federal Prison Camp Allenwood, Pennsylvania on February 19, 1981.
Others incarcerated at facility included Lucchese Soldier Anthony DiLapi, Gambino Associate and DeMeo Crew member Henry Borelli, Gambino Associate Anthony Megale, Gambino Associate Frank Santora Jr. and Lucchese Associate Julius 'Red' Calder.
![]() |
| F. Santora Jr. |
Kaplan and Santora Jr. developed a close relationship during their sentences.
Later stated re Santora Jr: "I don't think he was the swiftest guy in the world, but I thought -- I liked him."
Also testified:
"
Later stated re Santora Jr: "I don't think he was the swiftest guy in the world, but I thought -- I liked him."
Also testified:
"
Q: Did [Santora Jr.] protect you in jail? Was he somebody that kept other prisoners from bothering you?
A: No.
Q: You're smiling when you say that. You were actually a pretty tough guy when you were that age?
A: I'm not a pretty tough guy, but Mr. Santora knew I was a friend of Mr. Furnari's, and all through life that fact gave me a little bit more.
A: No.
Q: You're smiling when you say that. You were actually a pretty tough guy when you were that age?
A: I'm not a pretty tough guy, but Mr. Santora knew I was a friend of Mr. Furnari's, and all through life that fact gave me a little bit more.
"
In mid-March 1983 released from FPC Allenwood.
During Kaplan's incarceration his business, All City Distributors, supervised by Furnari crew associate Thomas 'Tommy Irish' Carew.
Company employee Thomas Galpine continued involvement in drug dealing during those years: "Originally I was still working for [All City], and we made some Quaalude moves and some marijuana moves, made some money. And I was moving some cocaine [in] order to make money, and just any drugs that I could sell." (Galpine later acknowledged that Tommy Irish Carew was a 'tough guy' but 'to me he was a nice guy'.)
Following his release Kaplan discovered All City had been mismanaged by Carew: "Before I left we did an inventory and [I] left him with about seven hundred fifty thousand dollars worth of value...[When I came back from prison there] was a lock on the door and I owed taxes [to] New York State." (Carew became a Cooperating Witness in 1994.)
In mid-March 1983 released from FPC Allenwood.
During Kaplan's incarceration his business, All City Distributors, supervised by Furnari crew associate Thomas 'Tommy Irish' Carew.
Company employee Thomas Galpine continued involvement in drug dealing during those years: "Originally I was still working for [All City], and we made some Quaalude moves and some marijuana moves, made some money. And I was moving some cocaine [in] order to make money, and just any drugs that I could sell." (Galpine later acknowledged that Tommy Irish Carew was a 'tough guy' but 'to me he was a nice guy'.)
Following his release Kaplan discovered All City had been mismanaged by Carew: "Before I left we did an inventory and [I] left him with about seven hundred fifty thousand dollars worth of value...[When I came back from prison there] was a lock on the door and I owed taxes [to] New York State." (Carew became a Cooperating Witness in 1994.)
Diamonds (c. 1984)
![]() |
| F. Caggiano |
Around 1984 Kaplan partnered with Joseph Banda and Mamodu Kwita in the sale of diamonds from an African mine: "[Kwita had] the right to sell the stones, the unpolished stones, the raw diamonds from this mine, if he was capable of selling it. And when the deal was offered to me, I asked Furnari if he knew anybody and he told me that a friend of his by the name of Frankie Hot, I don't know his last name, but he was in the diamond market downtown on Canal Street, and he said he would ask him, and then he made an appointment with me to go see Frankie in the diamond market and he introduced me to Joe Banda...Mamadu, Joe Banda and I had one-third apiece of the selling end of the diamonds from Africa." (This would have been sometime between Kaplan's release from FPC Allenwood in March 1983 and Genovese Soldier Frank 'Frankie Hot' Caggiano's death in April 1984.)
Santora First Offer
Frank Santora Jr. met with Kaplan soon after his release from Federal prison in April 1984.
He offered his own services and those of his cousin, Detective Louis Eppolito, for any jobs Kaplan needed done. Kaplan initially declined, in part because he was hesitant to work with any members of law enforcement.
Daughter's Wedding (1985)
![]() |
| Wedding of Kaplan's Daughter (1985) L to R: C. Furnari Jr., V. Amuso, A. Casso, C. Furnari |
In 1985 daughter married. Reception attendees included Lucchese Consigliere Christopher Furnari, Captain Vittorio Amuso, Soldiers and Furnari crew members Anthony Casso, Angelo Defendis and Nicola 'Nicky Edkins' DiCostanzo, Possible Member Chris 'Jumbo' Furnari Jr., Former Gambino Associate and DeMeo Crew member Henry Borelli, Bonanno Associate Alfonse 'Sonny' Esposito, Gambino Associate Frank Santora Jr. and Ralph 'Big Ralphie' DiMatteo.
(Chris Furnari Jr. was an inducted member by late 1986, when he was appointed Acting Captain of the crew formerly headed by his father. Henry Borelli, one of the DeMeo Crew's main shooters, was convicted the following year on multiple auto theft counts and given a sentence totaling one hundred and fifty years. Alfonse Esposito [1937-1997] was a longtime Bonanno Associate active in Little Italy, Manhattan. 'Big Ralphie' DiMatteo may be identical to the individual of the same name who has more recently been identified as the Colombo Family's Consigliere.)
"[At that time] Furnari was a consigliere, and at that point Amuso was being trained to take over Furnari's position and Casso was just a regular soldier."
Kaplan considered it an honor for Furnari to attend, as he went to functions 'very rarely'.
"[Amuso and Casso] went because they were my friends and they went definitely because Mr. Furnari went."
(Chris Furnari Jr. was an inducted member by late 1986, when he was appointed Acting Captain of the crew formerly headed by his father. Henry Borelli, one of the DeMeo Crew's main shooters, was convicted the following year on multiple auto theft counts and given a sentence totaling one hundred and fifty years. Alfonse Esposito [1937-1997] was a longtime Bonanno Associate active in Little Italy, Manhattan. 'Big Ralphie' DiMatteo may be identical to the individual of the same name who has more recently been identified as the Colombo Family's Consigliere.)
"[At that time] Furnari was a consigliere, and at that point Amuso was being trained to take over Furnari's position and Casso was just a regular soldier."
Kaplan considered it an honor for Furnari to attend, as he went to functions 'very rarely'.
"[Amuso and Casso] went because they were my friends and they went definitely because Mr. Furnari went."
Dealings with Casso (1985)
Around April 1985 Casso sold his house to Kaplan in order to afford a newer property. Casso's family continued living in the original house, however, and as of March 2006 Kaplan had his attorney serve Casso's son with an eviction notice.
That summer Casso and Kaplan were involved in attempted fencing of stolen Treasury bills: "[Casso] asked me if I could sell them, if I knew someone who could handle it and sell it...I said let me check it out, let me see what I could do." Reached out to associate Joseph Banda; one of the bills, worth $500,000 successfully cashed and Casso and Kaplan split $250,000.
Before the scheme could continue with larger amounts, Lucchese Soldier 'Leo the Zip' Giammona attempted to cash another of the bills at a Gravesend, Brooklyn bank, alerting authorities to the stolen status of the bills. (Giammona was shot to death on Family orders in 1988.)
Israel Greenwald Murder (Feb. 1986)
![]() |
| I. Greenwald |
Kaplan was later alerted by Joseph Banda that Israel Greenwald (34y), who Kaplan never knew, had pocketed some of the money when cashing the first bill overseas.
Assessing Greenwald's character and knowing that an investigation was underway on the stolen bills, Kaplan decided to have Greenwald killed and reached out to Frank Santora Jr. for assistance: "I spoke to Frank Santora. I know that [he] was a hoodlum. I know that he shook down Lundy's seafood people who owned it and got quite a bit of money out of it. I knew he was a tough guy in every bit of the word."
When asked in court years later why he brought the job to Santora Jr. despite only knowing him at Allenwood, Kaplan responded: "When he [originally] brought me the proposition, I had known him [for] two years in prison and you get to know somebody in prison in two years a lot better than you know him [if] you know him in 20 years on the street...I knew that Frankie was a hoodlum. I know that he was capable of doing things like that."
Asked if he had checked with Santora Jr. regarding any previous murders he had committed, Kaplan responded: "If I asked that question on the street, Frankie would probably kill me. Why do you want to know what I did, he would say, are you going to become an informant or something?"
Santora took the contract and enlisted his cousin, Detective Eppolito, and Detective Caracappa.
Greenwald, stopped while driving and told his presence was needed in a police lineup, was taken to the garage of an auto shop in Brooklyn and shot twice in the back of the head by Santora Jr. Body buried at location with coerced assistance from garage owner Peter Franzone.
Kaplan paid trio $30,000 for the hit.
Assessing Greenwald's character and knowing that an investigation was underway on the stolen bills, Kaplan decided to have Greenwald killed and reached out to Frank Santora Jr. for assistance: "I spoke to Frank Santora. I know that [he] was a hoodlum. I know that he shook down Lundy's seafood people who owned it and got quite a bit of money out of it. I knew he was a tough guy in every bit of the word."
When asked in court years later why he brought the job to Santora Jr. despite only knowing him at Allenwood, Kaplan responded: "When he [originally] brought me the proposition, I had known him [for] two years in prison and you get to know somebody in prison in two years a lot better than you know him [if] you know him in 20 years on the street...I knew that Frankie was a hoodlum. I know that he was capable of doing things like that."
Asked if he had checked with Santora Jr. regarding any previous murders he had committed, Kaplan responded: "If I asked that question on the street, Frankie would probably kill me. Why do you want to know what I did, he would say, are you going to become an informant or something?"
Santora took the contract and enlisted his cousin, Detective Eppolito, and Detective Caracappa.
Greenwald, stopped while driving and told his presence was needed in a police lineup, was taken to the garage of an auto shop in Brooklyn and shot twice in the back of the head by Santora Jr. Body buried at location with coerced assistance from garage owner Peter Franzone.
Kaplan paid trio $30,000 for the hit.
Casso Shooting (Sep. 1986)
On September 6, 1986 Anthony Casso shot and wounded outside Golden Ox restaurant in Bergen Beach, Brooklyn.
Kaplan was visited at his residence that night by Lucchese Captain Vittorio Amuso:
"
[Amuso] came to my house. I had relatives from Ohio over my house, we were all sitting on the porch, and he called me down. And I went to speak to him and he said, we've got a problem, he said, they tried to kill our friend. I said, who? What? He said they tried to kill Gas. I said what happened? He said they started to shoot him in the car and he's in the hospital and I want you to go to the hospital and find out what's going on.
I said, Vic, I'm on parole. If I go to the hospital and talk to him, I'm going to get violated. And he said, you're right. I didn't think about it. He says, I'll handle it, and he left.
I said, Vic, I'm on parole. If I go to the hospital and talk to him, I'm going to get violated. And he said, you're right. I didn't think about it. He says, I'll handle it, and he left.
"
After his release from the hospital Casso met with Kaplan:
"
After his release from the hospital Casso met with Kaplan:
"
He asked me if I could speak to my friend Frankie [Santora Jr.] and to see if he can get me some help with finding out the people who participated in the crime.
...It was just that time that I told him [about Santora Jr. and the cops]. I hadn't told him before. I told him at this conversation...I told him that my friend Frankie's cousin works in that precinct and that he's a good guy and that he could probably help us...I told him that he had done something for me, Frankie and his cousin, his cousin's partner, and that we could trust them.
...I called Frankie and made a meeting with him and [asked] him if he could -- the fact that it was in the 63rd Precinct, if he could speak to his cousin and he could help us get some information about who the participants were.
...[Frankie said he'll] look into it and he doesn't see any reason why we can't get the help.
...[Later on Santora Jr.] comes and meets me with a manila envelope with a bunch of papers from crime scene investigations, and some -- a couple of pictures, and I opened it and I looked in it and there was a picture of Jimmy Hydell.
Then I read the crime scene reports and it named who the participants were, what kind of cars they were driving, what license plate numbers, where they lived. It was very, very helpful, very efficient, and I said to Frankie, this is terrific, Frankie, what do we owe you? And he said, this is a gift from my cousin and his partner. This is just to show you the kind of things they would do. They wouldn't take no money because this was someone looking to hurt you and they wouldn't take money under those circumstances.
...It was just that time that I told him [about Santora Jr. and the cops]. I hadn't told him before. I told him at this conversation...I told him that my friend Frankie's cousin works in that precinct and that he's a good guy and that he could probably help us...I told him that he had done something for me, Frankie and his cousin, his cousin's partner, and that we could trust them.
...I called Frankie and made a meeting with him and [asked] him if he could -- the fact that it was in the 63rd Precinct, if he could speak to his cousin and he could help us get some information about who the participants were.
...[Frankie said he'll] look into it and he doesn't see any reason why we can't get the help.
...[Later on Santora Jr.] comes and meets me with a manila envelope with a bunch of papers from crime scene investigations, and some -- a couple of pictures, and I opened it and I looked in it and there was a picture of Jimmy Hydell.
Then I read the crime scene reports and it named who the participants were, what kind of cars they were driving, what license plate numbers, where they lived. It was very, very helpful, very efficient, and I said to Frankie, this is terrific, Frankie, what do we owe you? And he said, this is a gift from my cousin and his partner. This is just to show you the kind of things they would do. They wouldn't take no money because this was someone looking to hurt you and they wouldn't take money under those circumstances.
"
Named participants in the report included Gambino Associates Robert Bering (42y), Nicholas Guido (29y) and James Hydell (27y).
Named participants in the report included Gambino Associates Robert Bering (42y), Nicholas Guido (29y) and James Hydell (27y).
James Hydell Murder (Oct. 1986)
![]() |
| J. Hydell |
Kaplan didn't know Hydell: "I met [Hydell] on two occasions. I was not friendly with him. I just seen him. I have never had a conversation with him."
A few years prior he had witnessed an altercation between Hydell and members of the 19th Hole crew:
"
A few years prior he had witnessed an altercation between Hydell and members of the 19th Hole crew:
"
[Around 1983 or 1984] I was supposed to meet an attorney, Jerry Shargel, at the 19th Hole where Chris Furnari was, and we were standing outside the bar and the owner of the Chinese restaurant two doors away came in to talk to Christi, and he told Chris that there's some drunken kids in his place and they had a Doberman dog and they were causing all kind of havoc and the customers were afraid, and they were leaving.
And Chris went to Angelo Defendis -- they all came outside at that time, and I heard Chris say to Angelo Defendis, Didn't I tell you to straighten this kid out to stop causing problems in the neighborhood? And Angelo Defendis said, I told him. I warned him.
So Chris said, Go in there now and get him out of there. And Angelo went into the Chinese restaurant and he came out with Jimmy Hydell and another kid and -- with a big dog, and Angelo started pointing his finger at Jimmy Hydell and every time he pointed his finger, the dog started to snap at him.
And Gaspipe came along, Casso, and he saw it and he told Jimmy Hydell. Hold on to that dog and don't let that dog look to intimidate Angelo. And Angelo started yelling at him again; the dog came at him. And Gaspipe said, I told you, watch that dog, and Jimmy paid him no mind.
Gaspipe went into the luncheonette, he got a pistol, put a silencer on it and shot the dog twice. [He told Hydell], Now pick up the dog and put him in the trunk of the car and get out of here.
And Chris went to Angelo Defendis -- they all came outside at that time, and I heard Chris say to Angelo Defendis, Didn't I tell you to straighten this kid out to stop causing problems in the neighborhood? And Angelo Defendis said, I told him. I warned him.
So Chris said, Go in there now and get him out of there. And Angelo went into the Chinese restaurant and he came out with Jimmy Hydell and another kid and -- with a big dog, and Angelo started pointing his finger at Jimmy Hydell and every time he pointed his finger, the dog started to snap at him.
And Gaspipe came along, Casso, and he saw it and he told Jimmy Hydell. Hold on to that dog and don't let that dog look to intimidate Angelo. And Angelo started yelling at him again; the dog came at him. And Gaspipe said, I told you, watch that dog, and Jimmy paid him no mind.
Gaspipe went into the luncheonette, he got a pistol, put a silencer on it and shot the dog twice. [He told Hydell], Now pick up the dog and put him in the trunk of the car and get out of here.
"
After meeting with Santora Jr., Kaplan took the information to Casso:
"
After meeting with Santora Jr., Kaplan took the information to Casso:
"
I made an arrangement to meet him at a social club on 13th Avenue. It was a club operated by a gentleman by the name of Swaggy [Dominick Carlucci] -- he was a made member, I believe, of the Genovese crime family -- and I walked into the club and he was there with Victor Amuso, and I said, Gas, do you know who shot you? And he got very indignant. He says, no, and you don't either.
I said, well, it was Jimmy Hydell. He says, you're crazy, it couldn't have been Jimmy Hydell. I just got him a job with the unions, and we made friends and we have been close for the last year. I said here, and I handed him the envelope. I said, see for yourself.
...I left him with the package because I was on parole and I left the club, and it was a couple of days later when I seen him again.
...[Casso asked what] do I owe for this? I told him the story that they wouldn't take no money because someone tried to hurt him and he shook his head, he said, Boy, that's really nice of them. They must be pretty good guys.
...[Casso] had a bunch of people out, other Mafia guys, out looking to catch the people mentioned in the report, and specifically Jimmy Hydell...[It] was important for him to try and get ahold of Jimmy Hydell alive so that Jimmy would tell him who ordered the hit on him...[The Gambinos had] ordered the hit on Casso and they wanted to kill Jimmy Hydell themselves in order to end it, to silence it, where it came from.
I said, well, it was Jimmy Hydell. He says, you're crazy, it couldn't have been Jimmy Hydell. I just got him a job with the unions, and we made friends and we have been close for the last year. I said here, and I handed him the envelope. I said, see for yourself.
...I left him with the package because I was on parole and I left the club, and it was a couple of days later when I seen him again.
...[Casso asked what] do I owe for this? I told him the story that they wouldn't take no money because someone tried to hurt him and he shook his head, he said, Boy, that's really nice of them. They must be pretty good guys.
...[Casso] had a bunch of people out, other Mafia guys, out looking to catch the people mentioned in the report, and specifically Jimmy Hydell...[It] was important for him to try and get ahold of Jimmy Hydell alive so that Jimmy would tell him who ordered the hit on him...[The Gambinos had] ordered the hit on Casso and they wanted to kill Jimmy Hydell themselves in order to end it, to silence it, where it came from.
"
Some time after, Casso asked Kaplan to reach out again to Santora Jr:
"
Some time after, Casso asked Kaplan to reach out again to Santora Jr:
"
He asked me if I could get my friend Frankie to speak to his cousin and his partner and maybe get Jimmy Hydell and look to arrest him and turn him over to Casso.
...I had told him how they had taken the [Greenwald] contract from me and how they carried it out on the parkway with the light, and he felt that if we could do the same thing here, it would solve the problem. They could attempt to arrest Jimmy Hydell and he would go with them willingly and then Casso would get him alive...[Hydell] would never get in a car with the Gambinos or the Luccheses, he knew either side was looking to kill him.
...I had told him how they had taken the [Greenwald] contract from me and how they carried it out on the parkway with the light, and he felt that if we could do the same thing here, it would solve the problem. They could attempt to arrest Jimmy Hydell and he would go with them willingly and then Casso would get him alive...[Hydell] would never get in a car with the Gambinos or the Luccheses, he knew either side was looking to kill him.
"
Casso offered $35,000 for the hit and supplied the trio with an auto that 'looked like a police car, detective's car'. Vehicle provided by Lucchese Associate Patrick 'Patty' Testa, another former DeMeo Crew affiliate, and picked up by Kaplan's associate Thomas Galpine.
Kaplan:
"
Casso offered $35,000 for the hit and supplied the trio with an auto that 'looked like a police car, detective's car'. Vehicle provided by Lucchese Associate Patrick 'Patty' Testa, another former DeMeo Crew affiliate, and picked up by Kaplan's associate Thomas Galpine.
Kaplan:
"
I gave them the car and [they] went out looking to get Jimmy Hydell. And they were not having too much success.
Casso at the same time had his own crews looking for him in case they didn't get him, and on a Saturday [Oct. 18], Casso came to my house and he said it's imperative that we get this guy real quick because the Gambinos are looking to clip him, kill him, and are you sure your friend and his cousin are out there looking for him?
I said I'll reach out for him and light a fire under him, and I did that. I called Frankie [and] I asked him to call me back...When Frankie called me back, I said Frankie, it's imperative we get this kid because someone else is going to kill him and we want him alive, and he says, We're out looking for him right now. I said, Please, Frankie, it's important. Make sure that you try very hard to get him...They have been looking all over for him, but that particular phone call they said we just left his house in Staten Island.
...[Next] I gotta phone call from Frankie and he said, Can you call me back? And I said yes. And I went out and he beeped me with a number and I called him back and he says, We got him. I says, You're kidding? I only spoke to you about a half hour ago. He says, No, we got him. Where do you want him? I said, Frankie, I'm going to have to call you back. Call me back. I'll have to get back to you. Beep me back in a half hour.
I went out, and Casso had a beeper number. I beeped Casso and he called me back and I told him they had Jimmy Hydell and where did he want me to bring him. And he said to me, Do you remember the toy store we used to meet? And I said yes, I remember. He says, Can you bring him there? I said, What time? He says, in about an hour.
Casso at the same time had his own crews looking for him in case they didn't get him, and on a Saturday [Oct. 18], Casso came to my house and he said it's imperative that we get this guy real quick because the Gambinos are looking to clip him, kill him, and are you sure your friend and his cousin are out there looking for him?
I said I'll reach out for him and light a fire under him, and I did that. I called Frankie [and] I asked him to call me back...When Frankie called me back, I said Frankie, it's imperative we get this kid because someone else is going to kill him and we want him alive, and he says, We're out looking for him right now. I said, Please, Frankie, it's important. Make sure that you try very hard to get him...They have been looking all over for him, but that particular phone call they said we just left his house in Staten Island.
...[Next] I gotta phone call from Frankie and he said, Can you call me back? And I said yes. And I went out and he beeped me with a number and I called him back and he says, We got him. I says, You're kidding? I only spoke to you about a half hour ago. He says, No, we got him. Where do you want him? I said, Frankie, I'm going to have to call you back. Call me back. I'll have to get back to you. Beep me back in a half hour.
I went out, and Casso had a beeper number. I beeped Casso and he called me back and I told him they had Jimmy Hydell and where did he want me to bring him. And he said to me, Do you remember the toy store we used to meet? And I said yes, I remember. He says, Can you bring him there? I said, What time? He says, in about an hour.
"
Groups convened in parking lot of Toys R Us on Flatbush Ave:
"
Groups convened in parking lot of Toys R Us on Flatbush Ave:
"
[Casso was already] in the parking lot...I pulled up and parked my car next to him and got out. He says, Where is he? And I says, he's coming.
...[Santora Jr.] pulled in, into the lot with the car that we had gotten him, and I walked -- he stopped, he saw Casso and he stopped about 15 feet from us and I walked over to him. I said, What's up Frank? And he says, He was yelling and kicking in the trunk, and he says, I had to pull over and I punched him to keep him quiet and you have to be careful that he don't start screaming and yelling.
And I took the key to the car and I walked away from Frankie, and I handed the key to Anthony Casso. Casso looked up and he said, Who are those two guys at the foot of the parking lot? And I looked up and I recognized Louie and Steve, and I walked over to Frankie, I said, What are they doing here? He said, They followed me to back me up. And at that time, I thought, wow, what great guys they were.
And I told Casso that was his cousin and his partner and they were backing him up. Casso said, Okay. He says, tell them to get out of here. Tell your friends to get out of here and you get out of here.
...[Santora Jr.] pulled in, into the lot with the car that we had gotten him, and I walked -- he stopped, he saw Casso and he stopped about 15 feet from us and I walked over to him. I said, What's up Frank? And he says, He was yelling and kicking in the trunk, and he says, I had to pull over and I punched him to keep him quiet and you have to be careful that he don't start screaming and yelling.
And I took the key to the car and I walked away from Frankie, and I handed the key to Anthony Casso. Casso looked up and he said, Who are those two guys at the foot of the parking lot? And I looked up and I recognized Louie and Steve, and I walked over to Frankie, I said, What are they doing here? He said, They followed me to back me up. And at that time, I thought, wow, what great guys they were.
And I told Casso that was his cousin and his partner and they were backing him up. Casso said, Okay. He says, tell them to get out of here. Tell your friends to get out of here and you get out of here.
"
Hydell was taken into the basement of a Brooklyn residence, where he revealed that Casso's attempted murder was orchestrated by Gambino Members Bartholomew 'Bobby' Borriello, Edward Lino and Michael Paradiso with the knowledge of 'higher ups' (likely referring to Captain Angelo Ruggiero). Gambino Captains James 'Jimmy Brown' Failla, Jack Giordano and possibly others were brought to the scene to hear portions of Hydell's confession, although it does not appear that the Gambino Family was actually aware that Hydell named Borriello and Lino as well.
Casso then killed Hydell by slowly shooting him multiple times with a silenced .22 automatic.
Despite promising Hydell that he would leave his body in the street and allow his mother to collect on the life insurance, Casso had the body buried or otherwise disposed of in an unknown location.
Casso paid Santora Jr. and the Detectives $40,000, $5,000 more than originally agreed upon, for a job well done.
On November 19, 1986 Lucchese Consigliere Chris Furnari, along with Boss Antonio 'Tony Ducks' Corallo and Underboss Salvatore 'Tom Mix' Santoro, convicted in Commission case. All three would be given one hundred year sentences.
Shortly before the verdicts came in Corallo designated Vittorio Amuso to be the Family's New Boss.
Following the convictions, Kaplan and Associate Corrado 'Dino' Marino placed on record with Furnari's son, Acting Captain Chris Furnari Jr. Kaplan: "I was put with Chris's son for awhile and we really didn't see eye to eye and I went to Vic [Amuso] and I told him that I wasn't seeing eye to eye with Chris's son and he said we're going to put you back with us [meaning] with Vic and Gas [Casso]."
Kaplan said of the elder Furnari: "He's a gentleman to a lot of people and not a gentleman to some people...Once I quit gambling for a couple of years, I became very close to him...At the time [he] went to jail, I was close to him and Mr. Furnari would never let me get involved in the things that Mr. Casso did...Mr. Casso didn't have the appeal that Mr. Furnari did. He was a lot lower class than Mr. Furnari."
Hydell was taken into the basement of a Brooklyn residence, where he revealed that Casso's attempted murder was orchestrated by Gambino Members Bartholomew 'Bobby' Borriello, Edward Lino and Michael Paradiso with the knowledge of 'higher ups' (likely referring to Captain Angelo Ruggiero). Gambino Captains James 'Jimmy Brown' Failla, Jack Giordano and possibly others were brought to the scene to hear portions of Hydell's confession, although it does not appear that the Gambino Family was actually aware that Hydell named Borriello and Lino as well.
Casso then killed Hydell by slowly shooting him multiple times with a silenced .22 automatic.
Despite promising Hydell that he would leave his body in the street and allow his mother to collect on the life insurance, Casso had the body buried or otherwise disposed of in an unknown location.
Casso paid Santora Jr. and the Detectives $40,000, $5,000 more than originally agreed upon, for a job well done.
Furnari Conviction and Amuso as Boss (Nov. 1986)
On November 19, 1986 Lucchese Consigliere Chris Furnari, along with Boss Antonio 'Tony Ducks' Corallo and Underboss Salvatore 'Tom Mix' Santoro, convicted in Commission case. All three would be given one hundred year sentences.
Shortly before the verdicts came in Corallo designated Vittorio Amuso to be the Family's New Boss.
Following the convictions, Kaplan and Associate Corrado 'Dino' Marino placed on record with Furnari's son, Acting Captain Chris Furnari Jr. Kaplan: "I was put with Chris's son for awhile and we really didn't see eye to eye and I went to Vic [Amuso] and I told him that I wasn't seeing eye to eye with Chris's son and he said we're going to put you back with us [meaning] with Vic and Gas [Casso]."
Kaplan said of the elder Furnari: "He's a gentleman to a lot of people and not a gentleman to some people...Once I quit gambling for a couple of years, I became very close to him...At the time [he] went to jail, I was close to him and Mr. Furnari would never let me get involved in the things that Mr. Casso did...Mr. Casso didn't have the appeal that Mr. Furnari did. He was a lot lower class than Mr. Furnari."
Bulova Theft (Nov. 1986)
Late that month burglary committed on Bulova watch repair center in Queens.
Job carried out by the Bypass Gang, whose membership consisted primarily of Lucchese and Colombo members and associates.
Kaplan: "They did expensive burglaries. [They] did banks. They bypassed the alarms. They did warehouses, that type of stuff."
Those linked to group included Amuso, Casso and Colombo Associate and CI John 'Otto' Heidel.
Those involved in fencing the watches included Burt Kaplan, Thomas Galpine and Possible Lucchese Member George 'Georgie Neck' Zappola.
Kaplan: "[Casso] told me this same gang had broken into Bulova's [and] if I wanted, he could get me the watches from that burglary to fence. [It] was a fairly reasonable price and I said okay, I would do it. And he said, don't worry about the money. I'll [vouch] for the money, and we were delivered a truckload of Bulova watches and Otto Heidel was one of the people who delivered it to Tommy [Galpine] in Staten Island. We had a [house] we used as a drop there, and Tommy said that there was three or four guys on the truck and when Tommy came back and told me that, I said to Tommy, let's do all ourselves a favor and load that stuff up the truck and take it to a different spot. And the next day, law enforcement went to that spot and were looking for the Bulova watches, but they weren't there...People that were involved in the Bulova watches [started getting] arrested."
Thomas Galpine:
"
[Me] and Burt met Anthony Casso with a guy named Georgie Zappola. We met him let's say on Monday to work out arrangements to receive the stolen Bulova watches the next day. The next day came, I met Georgie, he gave me a rental truck with watches but he was also with two other guys and they wanted to come with me to the drop...And they came to that location with me and helped me unload the watches. And he was a bit of a smart alec let's say, this guy Heidel. The next day or day after or a couple of days after it wound up anyone that received those watches, everyone was getting arrested. And they wanted to go back with me and wipe all the fingerprints off the watches and we started doing that.
...[A] lot of people that received the watches where I was the driver, I was the one that would deliver the watches, seemed that no sooner I delivered the watches and people took possession of them within a day or two all of a sudden they were arrested including my friend in Pennsylvania. But if I'm not mistaken at least three people were arrested in the first week we put the watches out there so there was heat on the watches, in other words, a very hot item.
...[We] knew there had to be some sort of leak or informant that knew where the watches were, who were getting the watches, they knew too much about it. Me and Burt had conversations about it. We put the watches in hiding, wouldn't sell them. Everyone that touched them wound up getting arrested or the majority of people did so we put them away. As a result, this guy Heidel got killed [the following year] and at the time he got killed, Burt mentioned to me I guess Gaspipe did the favor, that was the rat on the Bulova watch deal.
...[A] lot of people that received the watches where I was the driver, I was the one that would deliver the watches, seemed that no sooner I delivered the watches and people took possession of them within a day or two all of a sudden they were arrested including my friend in Pennsylvania. But if I'm not mistaken at least three people were arrested in the first week we put the watches out there so there was heat on the watches, in other words, a very hot item.
...[We] knew there had to be some sort of leak or informant that knew where the watches were, who were getting the watches, they knew too much about it. Me and Burt had conversations about it. We put the watches in hiding, wouldn't sell them. Everyone that touched them wound up getting arrested or the majority of people did so we put them away. As a result, this guy Heidel got killed [the following year] and at the time he got killed, Burt mentioned to me I guess Gaspipe did the favor, that was the rat on the Bulova watch deal.
"
Nicholas Guido Murder (Dec. 1986)
On December 25, 1986 civilian Nicholas Guido (26y) shot to death outside his residence on 17th St in Windsor Terrace, Brooklyn.
Guido's murder, a case of mistaken identity, resulted from the attempt to track down the Gambino Associate of the same name who participated in Casso's shooting. Kaplan:
"
[Casso] wanted me to [speak] to Frankie and see if he could get a picture and an address of where Nickey Guido lived, and I asked Frankie if he could do that for me and he said he would speak to his cousin and Frankie came back and he said his cousin could do it, but he wants four thousand dollars, and I said I can't authorize that. I'd have to talk to Gas, and I went and told Gaspipe and Gaspipe said, gee, I just gave them a five thousand dollar bonus on the thing with Jimmy. He says, tell them that they're being very greedy and to keep it. I'll get it my own way. And I was pretty embarrassed to have to go back and tell Frank that. I was thinking of giving him the money myself, but I had no way to do this and give Casso the information. So I told Frankie and Frankie says, you know, I agree with you. He says, they shouldn't have asked for no money for this. And I never got the package from them.
[After the civilian Nicholas Guido was killed] it was all over the news, and then [Santora Jr.] reached out for me and I met him and he said, you know, your guys killed the wrong Nickey Guido...He said, maybe you -- Gas should have paid the four thousand dollars and got the right information on Nickey Guido. And Gas got it off somebody who worked in the Gas company and he got the wrong guy...[Later Louis Eppolito told] me the same thing Frankie did [meaning] Gas should have paid the money and he would have got the right guy.
[After the civilian Nicholas Guido was killed] it was all over the news, and then [Santora Jr.] reached out for me and I met him and he said, you know, your guys killed the wrong Nickey Guido...He said, maybe you -- Gas should have paid the four thousand dollars and got the right information on Nickey Guido. And Gas got it off somebody who worked in the Gas company and he got the wrong guy...[Later Louis Eppolito told] me the same thing Frankie did [meaning] Gas should have paid the money and he would have got the right guy.
"
Borriello - Gravano Murder Plots (c. Jan. 1987)
![]() |
| S. Gravano and B. Borriello |
According to Kaplan, Casso never liked Gravano: "He thought he was a blow-hard [meaning a] guy who pumped himself up."
Jobs given to Frank Santora Jr. and the Detectives but unable to be carried out.
Re Gravano: "[They] staked out Gravano's construction company on Stillwell Ave. They followed Gravano to his house a few times...[Santora Jr.] told me that they stopped surveilling [Gravano's construction business] because a detective who knew Louie or Steve came up to them in a car and started a conversation with them...They followed [Gravano] to his house and from his house on a lot of occasions, but they could never catch him alone. They told me he was always dropped off by people or picked up by people in other cars. And they didn't have a chance to fulfill the contract..After a period of time, Casso said that they [don't] think they're ever going to get him because he's too cautious and he would go on to other things."
Borriello's murder was ordered for his reported involvement in the attempt on Casso's life the previous September: "[Casso] had originally put out a contract with him the same time he put the contract on Sammy Gravano and [Santora Jr. and the Detectives] were going after both of them at the same time. But he took it away from them after a long time because Louie and Steve had a problem. They were down on Court Street surveilling the -- Bobby Borriello's club and again a detective that they knew came up and asked them what they were doing there, just a friendly conversation. And they said they were waiting for somebody, and they discussed it with me and we all agreed that it would be foolish for them to go back there."
The Detectives also gave Kaplan an audio recording of Borriello making threats towards Casso and his family: "Louie brought me [a cassette tape] and I plugged it in and I heard -- I didn't know whose voice it was, but I heard a guy saying that these guys missed with Casso and they better take care of this thing or I'm going to get mad and I'll drive right into his driveway and kill him and his whole family...I didn't know [who the speaker was] until [Anthony] Casso came to my house that night and played the tape and he said to me, that's Bobby Borriello." (A couple of years later Borriello, located with the Detectives' assistance, was shot to death outside his residence.)
Pasquale Varriale Murder (Feb. 1987)
On February 14, 1987, at approximately 5:00 AM, body of Bonanno Associate Pasquale 'Patty Bulldog' Varriale (28y) found in front of church located on Coleman St in Flatlands, Brooklyn. Victim, arms bound and body wrapped in blanket, shot one or more times at close range.
Frank Santora Jr. was identified by garage owner Peter Franzone as having committed the murder. No apparent link with Casso or Kaplan, although Pasquale's older brother, Lucchese Soldier Carmine Varriale, was shot to death on Lucchese orders later that year.
CI Heidel Report re Casso and Police (Feb. 1987)
Same date CI and Colombo Associate John 'Otto' Heidel reported. An FBI Agent later summarized the information in court: "[Heidel] told me that he had been with a person named Anthony 'Gaspipe' Casso and Mr. Casso had told him, the informant, that he has a detective in the 63rd Precinct in Brooklyn who supplies information to Casso regarding ongoing investigations...Mr. Heidel told me that Casso told him that he would contact the detective who, because of his reputation and position within the New York City Police Department, could even contact other law enforcement agencies and solicit details of ongoing investigations that are not within the New York City Police Department."
Peter Savino (c. Feb. 1987)
![]() |
| P. Savino |
On February 19, 1987 NYPD Detective Stephen Caracappa ran records check with NYPD Identification Section re Genovese Associate Peter Savino.
Kaplan: "I was introduced to [Savino] a few times. I was told [his nickname] was Black Pete."
Kaplan was notified by the Detectives that Savino was a cooperator: "Louie brought me a [police] report, and it said that Pete Savino was cooperating with the government, that he was cooperating [with] them for a few years, and that he was cooperating originally with a detective in the 62nd Precinct and that when the government came to him and started asking him questions about the window business, he took them immediately down to the basement where he showed them some bodies were buried."
Kaplan: "I was introduced to [Savino] a few times. I was told [his nickname] was Black Pete."
Kaplan was notified by the Detectives that Savino was a cooperator: "Louie brought me a [police] report, and it said that Pete Savino was cooperating with the government, that he was cooperating [with] them for a few years, and that he was cooperating originally with a detective in the 62nd Precinct and that when the government came to him and started asking him questions about the window business, he took them immediately down to the basement where he showed them some bodies were buried."
![]() |
| V. Mangano |
Kaplan passed the information to Casso who then passed it to Venero Mangano: "[Casso] gave it to Benny Eggs Mangano, who was [high up] in the Genovese Crime Family. And told him -- he actually gave him the report and Benny Eggs came back about a week later and said that they took Black Pete down into a basement, they put a gun into his mouth and that he believed and that the other people in the Genovese Crime Family believed that Pete wasn't an informant." (Savino was in fact a cooperator and later testified against Mangano, Vic Amuso and Genovese Boss Vincent 'Chin' Gigante among others.)
Chris Furnari Jr. Demotion
Around Spring 1987 Lucchese Acting Captain Chris Furnari Jr. demoted and shelved on Amuso's orders. Kaplan: "Furnari's son was given a position when Furnari went to prison, but he didn't get along with Anthony Casso...Casso told me that Chris's son was visiting him and when he came back, he would tell Vic and Gas, My father said this and my father said that, and there was no truth to it. The father never sent any messages like that." (Furnari Jr. also ordered a beating that he falsely claimed was authorized by Captain Robert Amuso, according to a summary of CW Thomas Carew's testimony posted on The Black Hand Forum.)
Carmine Varriale - Frank Santora Jr. Murders (Sep. 1987)
On September 3, 1987, at approximately 4:22 PM, Lucchese Soldier Carmine Varriale (30y) and Gambino Associate Frank Santora Jr. (50y) fatally shot shortly after departing Big Apple Two-Way Radio Company located at 1550 Bath Ave in Bath Beach, Brooklyn. Establishment owned by Bonanno Consigliere Anthony Spero.
Victims walking in front of 1508 Bath Ave when gunman approached and opened fire with .38 caliber. Varriale hit in right shoulder, right side of chest and back of head and killed instantly. Santora Jr., shot twice in upper body and once in head, taken to hospital where died approximately thirty minutes later.
Murder ordered by Lucchese Boss Vittorio Amuso and carried out by Associate Frank Smith Jr.
Lucchese Associates and Former DeMeo Crew members Anthony Senter and Joseph Testa present at backup shooters. Michael Cilone acted as driver. Other participants believed included Acting Captain George Zappola.
Kaplan: "Carmine Variale was the target. [Casso] was having problems with him all along. I don't know if that's the reason he got killed, but Frankie definitely wasn't the target. Frankie just had bad luck being with him...[After Santora's murder] I went up to [Casso] and told him that he was killed, he told me geez, I didn't know that was our friend. He said, if I knew that, I could have stopped it."
Later that month Kaplan visited at his business by Santora's wife, who delivered a request from Detective Eppolito for a meeting.
"
I went there to Frankie's house and I sat down on his dining room and with Louie at the table and Frankie's wife went into another room and Louie says, I'm pretty sure you know who I am, and I said yes, I know who you are. I have seen you on a few occasions. And you're Frankie's cousin, and he said yes. He asked me if I had a desire to continue the business, that we were doing together...[Meaning continuing] what I was doing [through] Frankie, but directly with Louie. Continue getting information.
...[At] that point, he said, I think we could make this simple. We could make this a business arrangement. He said, you could put me and my partner on a four thousand a month pad and we'll give you everything we get on every Family, any bit of information we get about informants, about ongoing investigations, wiretaps, and imminent arrests.
...[After I met with Casso and] told him that I had a meeting with Louie Eppolito, Frankie's house, and he suggested that if we wanted to continue, we could do it on a more businesslike relationship. And he would want -- he would like, he didn't want -- he said he would like four thousand a month and there is -- he would do everything he could to get me that information at all times, whenever it became available. [Louie] said that his partner worked in a task force and that there was a [lot] of information that came across. He was in meetings with the FBI and that that would all become part of the four thousand a month and the only exception would be the murder contracts, would be above that.
...[Casso] said what do you think. I said well, so far they've been real good to you. He says, yes, I agree with that. And let's do it.
...He said tell them if they want to do this, and we go forward on it, that they have to work exclusively for us. We don't want them giving information to other guys in other Families, and possibly having a problem back from it which will eventually come back to us.
...[At] that point, he said, I think we could make this simple. We could make this a business arrangement. He said, you could put me and my partner on a four thousand a month pad and we'll give you everything we get on every Family, any bit of information we get about informants, about ongoing investigations, wiretaps, and imminent arrests.
...[After I met with Casso and] told him that I had a meeting with Louie Eppolito, Frankie's house, and he suggested that if we wanted to continue, we could do it on a more businesslike relationship. And he would want -- he would like, he didn't want -- he said he would like four thousand a month and there is -- he would do everything he could to get me that information at all times, whenever it became available. [Louie] said that his partner worked in a task force and that there was a [lot] of information that came across. He was in meetings with the FBI and that that would all become part of the four thousand a month and the only exception would be the murder contracts, would be above that.
...[Casso] said what do you think. I said well, so far they've been real good to you. He says, yes, I agree with that. And let's do it.
...He said tell them if they want to do this, and we go forward on it, that they have to work exclusively for us. We don't want them giving information to other guys in other Families, and possibly having a problem back from it which will eventually come back to us.
"
John Heidel Murder (Oct. 1987)
![]() |
| J. Heidel |
The first murder that resulted from information received in the new arrangement was that of Colombo Associate and CI John Heidel.
![]() |
| T. Pitera Gang Land News |
Around early October 1987 Kaplan witnessed verbal altercation between Heidel and Bonanno Soldier Thomas 'Tommy Karate' Pitera at El Caribe in Brooklyn: "I had went to the El Caribe that day to the beach club and to see my tenants who had [the] luncheon concession there and we were talking and Tommy Karate was standing with us and Otto Heidel walked over and he was playing racket ball in the facilities. And Tommy Karate says to him, you know something, Otto? I think you're a stool pigeon. And Otto Heidel got -- got very affronted by it. He said why are you talking like that, Tommy? And Tommy says, it just seems that every time we do something when you're involved, somebody gets pinched or they know we're coming in before we get there and nothing ever goes right. Personally I think you're a stool pigeon...To me [Heidel] looked like he was a little afraid. Tommy Karate was the type of guy that there was very -- very capable."
Kaplan reported incident to Anthony Casso:
"
Kaplan reported incident to Anthony Casso:
"
I told him exactly what happened, the exchange between the two of them, and I said, you know, I know you're close to this Otto Heidel, and he says yes, we've been friends and doing things together for years. We never had no problems with him. I said, to me, it didn't look right, the conversation. He said well, why don't you ask our friends to find out what they could about Otto.
...I contacted Louie and told him my thoughts and he said, he would check it out. With Steve...They came back and Louie told me that Otto Heidel was hot [meaning] cooperating.
...[I went back to Casso and he said what] he normally says, are you sure. I know this guy a long time. Do you think these guys are accurate? I don't know.
I says, they haven't told us anything that wasn't accurate yet.
He said okay. I'll take care of it.
...I contacted Louie and told him my thoughts and he said, he would check it out. With Steve...They came back and Louie told me that Otto Heidel was hot [meaning] cooperating.
...[I went back to Casso and he said what] he normally says, are you sure. I know this guy a long time. Do you think these guys are accurate? I don't know.
I says, they haven't told us anything that wasn't accurate yet.
He said okay. I'll take care of it.
"
![]() |
| J. Heidel Crime Scene (Oct. 1987) |
On October 8, 1987, at approximately 4:15 PM, John Heidel (47y) was fired upon while changing a flat tire at E 35th St and Ave U in Marine Park, Brooklyn. He attempted to flee the gunmen and was hit eight or more times in back and upper torso.
Sometime after the murder Detective Eppolito provided Kaplan with tape recordings proving that Heidel was an informant.
Kaplan: "[Louie] said he liked doing things with us because when he gave us information people got taken care of that deserved it, and that in the past he gave information to other people and they never acted on it."
Sometime after the murder Detective Eppolito provided Kaplan with tape recordings proving that Heidel was an informant.
Kaplan: "[Louie] said he liked doing things with us because when he gave us information people got taken care of that deserved it, and that in the past he gave information to other people and they never acted on it."
Furnari Visitors List
![]() |
| C. Furnari Gang Land News |
Around late 1987 Casso obtained a copy of Lucchese Consigliere Chris Furnari's visitors list; at the time Furnari serving one-hundred-year sentence at FCI Oxford, Wisconsin. List provided by Detectives through Kaplan: "Casso wanted to know if anybody from any other crew in the family was trying to get the power...[After I gave him the list Casso] said the only ones visiting [Furnari] were his family and that nobody was contacting him about anything that was going on in the street."
Galpine - Casso Heroin Deals
![]() |
| G. Zappola Gang Land News |
Around this time Thomas Galpine involved with Casso and Lucchese Acting Captain George Zappola in one or more two-kilo heroin deals. Casso supplied the drugs to Galpine, who then supplied to longtime Kaplan associate Michael Gordon. Galpine: "I remember Georgie [Zappola] once putting it in a vehicle of mine."
Louis Manna Bug
![]() |
| L. Manna Gang Land News |
Around early 1988 the Detectives passed along information re LE bugging of a New Jersey restaurant utilized by Genovese Consigliere Louis 'Bobby' Manna. Kaplan: "Louie [Eppolito] came to see me and told me that there's a bug in a restaurant in Jersey and there's talk about arranging to kill John Gotti on the bug, and I told that to Gas [Casso] and he told me, I know what that place is, and I know who's involved in that, that's Bobby Manna's place, and he says I'm going to go up and tell Bobby. And he told me he told Bobby Manna about the bug and they stopped talking again on the bug." (Manna was indicted on Federal racketeering charges that April, convicted and ultimately sentenced to eighty years. He was given an early release in April 2025.)
Dominick Costa Shooting (Oct. 1988)
Kaplan: "Louie came and told me there's a guy by the name of Dominick Costa that's involved in the Bypass Gang that's cooperating...I passed the information to Anthony Casso...[Casso] said he was going to see Carmine Sessa and another gentleman by the name of Fusco -- I don't remember his first name -- and tell them [because] they were his bosses."
Colombo Captain Carmine Sessa fired three shots into twenty-eight-year-old Dominick Costa's head on October 12, 1988. Colombo Soldier Robert 'Bobby Zam' Zambardi and Associate Henry 'Hank the Bank' Smurra present as lookout and driver respectively. Victim survived and went on to testify against several members of the burglary gang.
New Jersey Regime (c. June 1989)
![]() |
| A. Accetturo |
Kaplan: "When a new -- to the best of my knowledge, when new bosses come in and take over, they want to know with all the captains what they control in industry, and in the street and they want to know how much they're earning because they want their fair share of it."
Anthony 'Tumac' Accetturo, the Family's Captain in New Jersey, refused to meet with the leadership; in response, Amuso ordered the murders of Accetturo, his son Anthony Jr. and several other crew members.
Through the Detectives, Kaplan was able to obtain two addresses for the crew leader in New Jersey and one in Florida. Accetturo unable to be located and later flipped after being convicted on racketeering charges in 1993.
Anthony 'Tumac' Accetturo, the Family's Captain in New Jersey, refused to meet with the leadership; in response, Amuso ordered the murders of Accetturo, his son Anthony Jr. and several other crew members.
Through the Detectives, Kaplan was able to obtain two addresses for the crew leader in New Jersey and one in Florida. Accetturo unable to be located and later flipped after being convicted on racketeering charges in 1993.
Julius Calder Murder (June 1989)
On June 2, 1989 Lucchese Associate Julius 'Red' Calder (52y) shot to death inside Brooklyn social club operated by Genovese Member Dominick 'Swaggy' Carlucci.
Sometime prior to the murder Kaplan had received information from the Detectives that Calder had attempted to enlist the pair in a plot to burglarize the home of Lucchese Captain Robert 'Bobby' Amuso, brother of the Family Boss. Kaplan didn't specify whether he passed this information to Casso or not. (Another Lucchese Associate, Thomas 'Red' Gilmore, was shot to death the previous February; CW Alfonso D'Arco, who supervised the murder, claimed it was ordered in part for Gilmore's suspected involvement in a burglary related to Bobby Amuso's house.)
Farace - Petrucelli (Sep. - Nov. 1989)
![]() |
| G. Farace |
Kaplan identified Gus Farace as a drug dealer and an Associate of Lucchese Captain Michael Salerno and Lucchese Soldier John Petrucelli, who Kaplan didn't believe was made at the time.
After Farace was involved in the murder of a DEA Agent murder and became a fugitive, Casso spoke with Kaplan: "He told me that the agents were coming around to every club and every bar and every Family and telling them whose ever is harboring Farace is going to have a big problem, and [whoever] has him should throw him in the street, and Casso told me that Petrucelli was harboring him...What happened [next] was, Casso told Mikey Salerno to tell Petrucelli [to] throw Gus Farace out and to cut him loose and to not harbor him."
Kaplan met with NYPD Detective Louis Eppolito: "I was given a [surveillance] picture of Mikey Salerno with John Petrucelli after Mikey Salerno said [that] he chased John Petrucelli because John Petrucelli didn't get rid of Farace. Petrucelli liked him. He was his friend, and he didn't want to listen."
Passed the photo on to Casso: "[Casso] told me that Mike Salerno told him that he had chased Petrucelli, and he wasn't around him anymore and that he would handle it."
Kaplan believed Mike Salerno was killed some time after this meeting and that Petrucelli was 'chased', meaning no longer associated with Lucchese Family. (Petrucelli was actually killed before Salerno, in September 1989; Gus Farace was shot to death two months later and Mike Salerno was murdered the following June).
After Farace was involved in the murder of a DEA Agent murder and became a fugitive, Casso spoke with Kaplan: "He told me that the agents were coming around to every club and every bar and every Family and telling them whose ever is harboring Farace is going to have a big problem, and [whoever] has him should throw him in the street, and Casso told me that Petrucelli was harboring him...What happened [next] was, Casso told Mikey Salerno to tell Petrucelli [to] throw Gus Farace out and to cut him loose and to not harbor him."
Kaplan met with NYPD Detective Louis Eppolito: "I was given a [surveillance] picture of Mikey Salerno with John Petrucelli after Mikey Salerno said [that] he chased John Petrucelli because John Petrucelli didn't get rid of Farace. Petrucelli liked him. He was his friend, and he didn't want to listen."
Passed the photo on to Casso: "[Casso] told me that Mike Salerno told him that he had chased Petrucelli, and he wasn't around him anymore and that he would handle it."
Kaplan believed Mike Salerno was killed some time after this meeting and that Petrucelli was 'chased', meaning no longer associated with Lucchese Family. (Petrucelli was actually killed before Salerno, in September 1989; Gus Farace was shot to death two months later and Mike Salerno was murdered the following June).
Reprimanded by Casso (c. 1989)
![]() |
| G. Clemenza Gang Land News |
Around 1989 Kaplan reprimanded for sharing information received by the Detectives about an unspecified Bonanno Family affiliate's cooperation:
"
"
[Colombo Soldier Jerry] Clemenza came up to my showroom on Broadway in New York and he asked me if I knew this guy and mentioned him by name, the day after I got the information that he was a cooperator, and I said, 'What do you want to know about him and why?'
He said, 'I'm going into a big trucking business with him and I'm going to invest a lot of money. I said to him, Jerry, I can't tell you how I know or who told me, but I wouldn't go into business with the guy. You're going to be set up because the guy's hot. I said, please don't tell anybody, just don't go into the business deal.
...[Later I met Casso and he] said to me, Did you tell anybody about this guy in the Bonanno crew, that he was bad? I said, Yes, Anthony, I did.
He got very upset and he said that I have no right to give anybody that type of information and that if I didn't admit it to him, I didn't tell him, he said he was going to kill me. And he said, 'Don't every tell anybody else in the future anything that we learn; this is to our benefit, not nobody else's'.
...[Casso] said he had previously gone to see Anthony Spero on Bath Avenue, who was a high-ranking Bonanno guy, Casso said and I told him, and right after I told him, Jerry Clemenza came there and told him, You know, you have a guy around you that's hot.
And Spero asked him how does he know, and Jerry told him, Burt in the city told me, Burt Kaplan. And that's when Gaspipe sent for me.
He said, 'I'm going into a big trucking business with him and I'm going to invest a lot of money. I said to him, Jerry, I can't tell you how I know or who told me, but I wouldn't go into business with the guy. You're going to be set up because the guy's hot. I said, please don't tell anybody, just don't go into the business deal.
...[Later I met Casso and he] said to me, Did you tell anybody about this guy in the Bonanno crew, that he was bad? I said, Yes, Anthony, I did.
He got very upset and he said that I have no right to give anybody that type of information and that if I didn't admit it to him, I didn't tell him, he said he was going to kill me. And he said, 'Don't every tell anybody else in the future anything that we learn; this is to our benefit, not nobody else's'.
...[Casso] said he had previously gone to see Anthony Spero on Bath Avenue, who was a high-ranking Bonanno guy, Casso said and I told him, and right after I told him, Jerry Clemenza came there and told him, You know, you have a guy around you that's hot.
And Spero asked him how does he know, and Jerry told him, Burt in the city told me, Burt Kaplan. And that's when Gaspipe sent for me.
"
Anthony DiLapi Murder (Feb. 1990)
![]() |
| A. DiLapi |
Kaplan: "[DiLapi] had a relationship with Buddy [Luongo], but his main -- his main connection -- he claimed he was a nephew to Tom Mix Santoro, who was the underboss of the Lucchese crime family, under Tony Ducks Corallo." (Anthony 'Buddy' Luongo, an influential Lucchese Captain in The Bronx, disappeared very shortly after Amuso was named Boss.)
"[There was a conflict as to where] the power would be in the family, in Brooklyn or up in the Bronx."
"[Casso] said he called for Anthony Dilapi to come in and tell him what he controlled up in the Bronx. Anthony Dilapi was into the Joker Poker machines and bookmaking places, and Anthony Dilapi said he would come in the following week and give Casso that information. Instead, he sold all his stops and he left town...They wanted a stake in it, but he sold them and ran away."
DiLapi was paroled from Federal prison in October 1985; he and Kaplan had previously served time together at FPC Allenwood.
"I suggested to [Casso] that we could find him by contacting his parole officer...I made an appointment with Steve [Caracappa] and told Steve the situation and asked him if he could write a letter to his parole officer because when you leave one jurisdiction and go to another, you have to be assigned to a different parole officer, and he said he could do that. Again, I asked him, Steve, will this come back and hurt you in the future because it's going to be a permanent record? And he says, no, he's not worried about it. He could do it...[He said] he would put his name in with five or six other people in a real investigation going on at that time."
"[Caracappa came back with info that DiLapi] had moved to California and he was involved in some kind of business there, and he gave me an address [which] I passed it on to Anthony Casso."
"
"[There was a conflict as to where] the power would be in the family, in Brooklyn or up in the Bronx."
"[Casso] said he called for Anthony Dilapi to come in and tell him what he controlled up in the Bronx. Anthony Dilapi was into the Joker Poker machines and bookmaking places, and Anthony Dilapi said he would come in the following week and give Casso that information. Instead, he sold all his stops and he left town...They wanted a stake in it, but he sold them and ran away."
DiLapi was paroled from Federal prison in October 1985; he and Kaplan had previously served time together at FPC Allenwood.
"I suggested to [Casso] that we could find him by contacting his parole officer...I made an appointment with Steve [Caracappa] and told Steve the situation and asked him if he could write a letter to his parole officer because when you leave one jurisdiction and go to another, you have to be assigned to a different parole officer, and he said he could do that. Again, I asked him, Steve, will this come back and hurt you in the future because it's going to be a permanent record? And he says, no, he's not worried about it. He could do it...[He said] he would put his name in with five or six other people in a real investigation going on at that time."
"[Caracappa came back with info that DiLapi] had moved to California and he was involved in some kind of business there, and he gave me an address [which] I passed it on to Anthony Casso."
"
[Later Casso] told me that he sent three guys out there to kill DiLapi and that he thinks DiLapi spotted one of them and that he knew and he moved to a different place.
...[He] asked me if I could speak to my friend and ask him if he could get an updated address of him. I said I think that's dangerous for him to do that, but I'll ask him anyway.
And I spoke to Steve and I said, Steve, please, if this is going to come back and haunt you, don't do it. Like always, Steve said, I could do it, and he did it.
...[He] asked me if I could speak to my friend and ask him if he could get an updated address of him. I said I think that's dangerous for him to do that, but I'll ask him anyway.
And I spoke to Steve and I said, Steve, please, if this is going to come back and haunt you, don't do it. Like always, Steve said, I could do it, and he did it.
"
Caracappa supplied new addresses which Kaplan passed on to Casso: "[It was in] California, a different building...I vaguely remember that one of them was a business [that DiLapi] was interested in, and one was an address of where he lived."
On February 4, 1990 Anthony DiLapi (53y) was shot to death inside a parking garage in Los Angeles. Lucchese Soldier Joseph D'Arco, son of Alfonso, acted as shooter. Others on scene were Acting Captain George Zappola and Soldier George 'Goggles' Conte. Associate and California resident Joseph Abinanti, son of Lucchese Soldier Peter 'Pete the Killer' Abinanti, assisted the hit team.
Caracappa supplied new addresses which Kaplan passed on to Casso: "[It was in] California, a different building...I vaguely remember that one of them was a business [that DiLapi] was interested in, and one was an address of where he lived."
On February 4, 1990 Anthony DiLapi (53y) was shot to death inside a parking garage in Los Angeles. Lucchese Soldier Joseph D'Arco, son of Alfonso, acted as shooter. Others on scene were Acting Captain George Zappola and Soldier George 'Goggles' Conte. Associate and California resident Joseph Abinanti, son of Lucchese Soldier Peter 'Pete the Killer' Abinanti, assisted the hit team.
James Bishop Murder (May 1990)
Kaplan: "[James Bishop] was an associate with the Lucchese crime family [active] in the painters union."
"[Casso came to me and said] Bishop is acting funny; they sent for him a couple of times, he didn't come, he didn't give the right -- he didn't put the right people to work that he was supposed to on certain jobs, and he asked me to find out if there was any cooperation with the government from Bishop...I spoke to Louie or Steve, I don't remember at this particular occasion, and I got back an answer that he was cooperating...I passed it on to Anthony Casso [and he] didn't tell me what he was going to do with it, but within a couple of weeks James Bishop was killed."
Sixty-year-old James Bishop was murdered May 17, 1990 in Whitestone, Queens. Lucchese Acting Captain George Zappola and Soldier George Conte were the shooters. Captain Frank Lastorino acted as blocker. Others involved included Lucchese Captain Peter Chiodo and Associate Corrado Marino.
Windows Case Indictment (May 1990)
![]() |
| V. Amuso Gang Land News |
Later that month Kaplan received urgent message from Detective Eppolito:
"
"
Louis called me and told me he had to meet me, it was very, very important but he couldn't come to New York, he had a previous appointment, he had to be someplace else, and he asked me if I can meet him on the Long Island Expressway, and I said yes. I went out there and met him.
...He told me that the following morning everybody involved in the Windows Case was going to be arrested, including Anthony Casso and Vic Amuso.
...I tried to reach Anthony Casso and he was out of town, and I called Vic Amuso's house and he was out, and I told whoever answered the phone, I said, the minute Vic comes in tell him it's an emergency and reach out for Mr. Eagle, that was the code name I had with Vic and Gas, and to call me no matter what time of night it is when he comes in.
...[Amuso] called me about 1:30 in the morning. I told him I had to see him. He said, okay, I'll see you tomorrow morning. I said, No, I got to see you right now, it's important. And he came to my house.
...I told him that I don't even think he should go home anymore tonight, that he's definitely going to be arrested tomorrow morning with Gas and a lot of other people, and that if he does go home, just get whatever clothes he needed and leave immediately, go on the lam.
...He told me that the following morning everybody involved in the Windows Case was going to be arrested, including Anthony Casso and Vic Amuso.
...I tried to reach Anthony Casso and he was out of town, and I called Vic Amuso's house and he was out, and I told whoever answered the phone, I said, the minute Vic comes in tell him it's an emergency and reach out for Mr. Eagle, that was the code name I had with Vic and Gas, and to call me no matter what time of night it is when he comes in.
...[Amuso] called me about 1:30 in the morning. I told him I had to see him. He said, okay, I'll see you tomorrow morning. I said, No, I got to see you right now, it's important. And he came to my house.
...I told him that I don't even think he should go home anymore tonight, that he's definitely going to be arrested tomorrow morning with Gas and a lot of other people, and that if he does go home, just get whatever clothes he needed and leave immediately, go on the lam.
"
Kaplan surmised Amuso then told Casso because 'the next morning they were both gone'.
On May 30 Amuso, Casso and thirteen others were indicted by the US Attorney's Office for the Eastern District of New York on Federal racketeering charges.
Co-defendants included Genovese Boss Vincent Gigante, Genovese Underboss Venero Mangano and Lucchese Captain Peter Chiodo.
The key witness in the case was Genovese Associate Peter Savino, whom the Detectives had previously warned was cooperating.
Kaplan surmised Amuso then told Casso because 'the next morning they were both gone'.
On May 30 Amuso, Casso and thirteen others were indicted by the US Attorney's Office for the Eastern District of New York on Federal racketeering charges.
Co-defendants included Genovese Boss Vincent Gigante, Genovese Underboss Venero Mangano and Lucchese Captain Peter Chiodo.
The key witness in the case was Genovese Associate Peter Savino, whom the Detectives had previously warned was cooperating.
Fugitives (May 1990)
Amuso and Casso remained fugitives until their captures in July 1991 and January 1993 respectively.
Kaplan communicated only with Casso while the two were on the lam and rarely met with Amuso before that.
"I never called Casso. He called me. We devised a method of -- I had eight pay phones located throughout Staten Island and Brooklyn. One at Macy's department store in Staten Island mall, a couple of pay phones in the street. And we numbered them one to eight and Casso would beep me on my beeper and he would put a number, one to eight. I would go to that phone a half an hour later and Casso would call me."
Typically met with Casso once a month.
Alfonso D'Arco
![]() |
| A. D'Arco (1991) |
Before leaving Casso met with Lucchese Captain Alfonso D'Arco and entrusted him with responsibility of supervising high-level Lucchese matters in the leadership's absence.
Kaplan was already acquainted with D'Arco.
"We knew each other...I was around this faction [19th Hole] of the Lucchese family longer than him. He was around a guy by the name of Paul Vario before he came around Chris [Furnari]...[This was probably] in the late seventies." (D'Arco remained with the Vario crew for his entire time as a Lucchese Associate and Member.)
While a fugitive Casso arranged a meeting with D'Arco and Kaplan met in New York:
"
Kaplan was already acquainted with D'Arco.
"We knew each other...I was around this faction [19th Hole] of the Lucchese family longer than him. He was around a guy by the name of Paul Vario before he came around Chris [Furnari]...[This was probably] in the late seventies." (D'Arco remained with the Vario crew for his entire time as a Lucchese Associate and Member.)
While a fugitive Casso arranged a meeting with D'Arco and Kaplan met in New York:
"
[Casso] came back [from being on the lam] and made a meeting with me and D'Arco and told me that the Luccheses had a new circuit board for the Joker Pokers and that everybody could make a lot of money and did I know anybody in the vending business that I could hook up Al D'Arco with.
I said yes, I know my friend John Tarpey was in the vending business and -- but I think he just recently had sold his business. So he asked me to go speak to John and I did and John said, I sold the business, but if you want, I can introduce you to the two guys that bought the business.
And he asked me what it was about and I told him they had new -- a new circuit board that would put more revenue into the business and that the people who I gave the circuit board to would make more money and the Luccheses would make more money and everybody would be happy, and I introduced Al D'Arco to that fellow.
I said yes, I know my friend John Tarpey was in the vending business and -- but I think he just recently had sold his business. So he asked me to go speak to John and I did and John said, I sold the business, but if you want, I can introduce you to the two guys that bought the business.
And he asked me what it was about and I told him they had new -- a new circuit board that would put more revenue into the business and that the people who I gave the circuit board to would make more money and the Luccheses would make more money and everybody would be happy, and I introduced Al D'Arco to that fellow.
"
(Kaplan served time with John Tarpey during the early 1980s at FPC Allenwood.)
(Kaplan served time with John Tarpey during the early 1980s at FPC Allenwood.)
Peter Chiodo
![]() |
| P. Chiodo |
Kaplan was also acquainted with Lucchese Captain Peter Chiodo, another of Casso's close associates.
"[I] knew him, but never liked him but I knew him...[Chiodo] was a guy that was associated with the 19th Hole. Actually, he was a friend of Tommy Irish Carew's, and there was an expression in the 19th Hole that he only came around when [he] had a problem, he never came around when there was time to chop up anyone...[He was made] after Furnari went to jail." (After surviving a shooting ordered by Amuso and Casso in May 1991, Chiodo became a Cooperating Witness.)
"[I] knew him, but never liked him but I knew him...[Chiodo] was a guy that was associated with the 19th Hole. Actually, he was a friend of Tommy Irish Carew's, and there was an expression in the 19th Hole that he only came around when [he] had a problem, he never came around when there was time to chop up anyone...[He was made] after Furnari went to jail." (After surviving a shooting ordered by Amuso and Casso in May 1991, Chiodo became a Cooperating Witness.)
Bruno Facciolo Murder (Aug. 1990)
![]() |
| B. Facciolo Gang Land News |
He also believed Facciolo was made before Casso.
Facciolo had been a previous topic of discussion between Kaplan and Detective Eppolito:
"
[Eppolito] says, I want to ask you if you can ask Gaspipe to [do] him a favor. And I said what is it, Louie. He said that a friend of his owes Bruno Facciola some money and this is the same kid that has the auto repair business or the auto collision business, I don't know what it was, that let us use his place and that Bruno Facciola is pressing him and abusing him and [if] I would speak to Casso to speak to Facciola and get him to take the pressure off the kid.
...[I met with Casso and] told him that one of the cops, Louie -- I didn't give him his name, [had] this kid that we used [as] this spot for Jimmy [Hydell] and [he] owed Bruno money and he was in trouble, the kid...I said, he would appreciate it very much if you could speak to Bruno and take the pressure off the kid because this kid was a good kid.
...[Casso] thought about it for a few minutes and he said he would speak to Bruno...[Later Casso told me] that he spoke to Bruno and Bruno gave him a little bit of a hard time but finally he agreed to do what Casso asked.
...[I met with Casso and] told him that one of the cops, Louie -- I didn't give him his name, [had] this kid that we used [as] this spot for Jimmy [Hydell] and [he] owed Bruno money and he was in trouble, the kid...I said, he would appreciate it very much if you could speak to Bruno and take the pressure off the kid because this kid was a good kid.
...[Casso] thought about it for a few minutes and he said he would speak to Bruno...[Later Casso told me] that he spoke to Bruno and Bruno gave him a little bit of a hard time but finally he agreed to do what Casso asked.
"
Some time later Eppolito informed Kaplan of Bruno's possible cooperator status:
"
Some time later Eppolito informed Kaplan of Bruno's possible cooperator status:
"
[Eppolito] said there is an arrest coming down, a big investigation in the jewelry district Uptown and that Bruno Facciola is a -- an unindicted coconspirator in this oncoming arrest and that he believes that Bruno is hot [cooperating].
...[To] my belief, it's wrong for someone -- an unindicted coconspirator doesn't make him an informant and I questioned Louie on that and he said trust me. I know the guy is an informant.
...[To] my belief, it's wrong for someone -- an unindicted coconspirator doesn't make him an informant and I questioned Louie on that and he said trust me. I know the guy is an informant.
"
Kaplan brought the information to Casso: "[Casso said you've] got to be kidding me. I know Bruno a lot of years. He says, are you sure that your friend isn't just trying to get even with Bruno based on the fact that he was abusing his friend, the kid with the repair shop. And I said no, I brought that up to Louie myself and he says that Bruno is definitely hot. And Casso says well, at this point I got to believe -- to believe him because they've been believable on everything else."
Kaplan brought the information to Casso: "[Casso said you've] got to be kidding me. I know Bruno a lot of years. He says, are you sure that your friend isn't just trying to get even with Bruno based on the fact that he was abusing his friend, the kid with the repair shop. And I said no, I brought that up to Louie myself and he says that Bruno is definitely hot. And Casso says well, at this point I got to believe -- to believe him because they've been believable on everything else."
Alfonso D'Arco was tasked with overseeing the murder.
On August 24, 1990 Bruno Facciolo (52y) was lured to a garage in Brooklyn where he was stabbed and shot to death by Lucchese Captain Frank Lastorino and Soldier Richard Pagliarulo. When entering the garage, Facciolo 'caught the move' and attempted to flee the scene but was tackled and dragged inside by D'Arco's Acting Captain Louis Daidone. A dead canary was placed in his mouth and his body was put into the trunk of his own car, which the killers abandoned in front of 1029 E 55th St in Flatlands.
Lino Murder (Nov. 1990)
![]() |
| E. Lino |
Kaplan didn't 'know Eddie Lino personally' believed that the contract on Lino was initially issued by Casso 'around '87 or '88'.
"[Casso and Lino's relationship] wasn't very good. Casso thought that he was one of the people who tried to get him killed...[After the contract issued Casso] said that [Lino] was one of the shooters in Paul Castellano's killing. Casso wanted to [be] involved in retribution for that because it was unsanctioned."
Detectives given two guns by Casso (one automatic, one revolver).
"[Casso and Lino's relationship] wasn't very good. Casso thought that he was one of the people who tried to get him killed...[After the contract issued Casso] said that [Lino] was one of the shooters in Paul Castellano's killing. Casso wanted to [be] involved in retribution for that because it was unsanctioned."
Detectives given two guns by Casso (one automatic, one revolver).
On November 6, 1990, at approximately 6:57 PM, Gambino Captain Edward Lino (48y) was found shot to death in the driver's seat of his Mercedes-Benz left idling on the shoulder of the Belt Parkway in Brooklyn. He had been shot multiple times at close range with a .38 caliber revolver.
Kaplan visited by Eppolito while recovering from eye surgery at Eye and Ear Hospital in East Village, Manhattan:
"
Kaplan visited by Eppolito while recovering from eye surgery at Eye and Ear Hospital in East Village, Manhattan:
"
[It] was about 9:30 or 10:00 o'clock at night and I was sleeping. I had gotten my operation that day or the day before and Louie came in the door and he tapped me on the foot and he woke me up and he says I got good news. First I jumped up when I seen him. I thought it was bad news. And I said what's the matter. What's the matter. He said no, no, take it easy. I got good news. I said, what. He says, we got Eddie Lino. I said, what do you mean you got him? He says, we killed him.
And he went in his pocket and he took out two newspaper articles about how a guy got pulled over on the Belt Parkway and got shot.
And I asked Louie how -- how he did it. He said we followed him from the club on Avenue U and he went on the Belt Parkway and we turned on the light and we pulled him over, and he pulled over on the grass and I walked over to him and I said, hey, Frankie, how are you? And Eddie got all happy. Then he says, I'm not Frankie Lino. I'm Eddie Lino. And Louis says, oh, we thought you were Frankie Lino.
And then Louie says, I pointed across to the passenger floor of the car and Eppolito said, I asked Eddie, what's that. And Eddie bent down to look and he says Steve shot him a number of times. I said, how come Steve shot him? He said, Steve is a much better shot.
And he went in his pocket and he took out two newspaper articles about how a guy got pulled over on the Belt Parkway and got shot.
And I asked Louie how -- how he did it. He said we followed him from the club on Avenue U and he went on the Belt Parkway and we turned on the light and we pulled him over, and he pulled over on the grass and I walked over to him and I said, hey, Frankie, how are you? And Eddie got all happy. Then he says, I'm not Frankie Lino. I'm Eddie Lino. And Louis says, oh, we thought you were Frankie Lino.
And then Louie says, I pointed across to the passenger floor of the car and Eppolito said, I asked Eddie, what's that. And Eddie bent down to look and he says Steve shot him a number of times. I said, how come Steve shot him? He said, Steve is a much better shot.
"
Within a couple days payment dropped off at Kaplan residence:
Within a couple days payment dropped off at Kaplan residence:
"
[Payment for Detectives] was brought to me and I had [the] big eye patch on my head. A guy came to my door, rang the bell. My wife answered the door and he said he wanted to see me. And my wife said, why don't you come in. He said no, I don't want to come in. He stood at the door and he had a baseball cap over his head and the best of my ability I believe it was George Zappola, but I can't say for sure...[He handed me box and] said this is from Gas.
...[It] was a box full of money, a little box full of hundred dollar bills. I counted it. There was $70,000 in it and I didn't know if Casso was testing me or what because the agreed upon price was 65,000.
But I gave the money to Louie and I told him I don't know if this five thousand is for you or the guy is testing me. If it's for you, keep it. If he's testing me, I'm going to tell him about it and ask him if he wants it back. And I said to Louie, don't worry about because we'll take the money off the next -- next month's four thousand.
...[It] was a box full of money, a little box full of hundred dollar bills. I counted it. There was $70,000 in it and I didn't know if Casso was testing me or what because the agreed upon price was 65,000.
But I gave the money to Louie and I told him I don't know if this five thousand is for you or the guy is testing me. If it's for you, keep it. If he's testing me, I'm going to tell him about it and ask him if he wants it back. And I said to Louie, don't worry about because we'll take the money off the next -- next month's four thousand.
"
Laurence Taylor and Alfred Visconti Murders (Feb. - Mar. 1991)
By early 1991 Laurence 'Larry' Taylor and Alfred 'Flounderhead' Visconti, formerly Associates of Lucchese Soldier Bruno Facciolo, were openly plotting revenge for Facciolo's murder the previous August.
Others involved included Bruno's younger brother Louis Facciolo (1940-2019).
Alfonso D'Arco, who defected in September 1991, later testified: "[LE] picked up their - Bruno, some of his associates were jewel thieves and -- stick up jewelry stores and stuff like that. So [they picked up] this group, Louie Facciolo, Al Visconti, Larry Taylor and various other guys I don't even know. And they picked up on the tape, a bug, that there was a plot to have us killed [because] Bruno was missing and later he was murdered and that was it."
Targets of the plot included Alfonso D'Arco, now the Family's Acting Boss, as well as Captain Frank Lastorino, Soldier and D'Arco crew member Domenico 'Danny' Cutaia, and each of their sons.
Members of the Brooklyn District Attorney's Office visited D'Arco and the others and warned them of a plot.
On January 11, 1991 an NYPD Memorandum on the subject was issued. LE later testified: "[Memo] indicates that Bruno was a crew chief for many years, and basically a lot of people were mad regarding Bruno being killed...It indicates that Louis Facciolo and Laurence Taylor and Al Visconti would be part of a crew that are going to revenge the murder of Bruno."
Around this time Kaplan met with Detective Eppolito: "[Eppolito] says there is word going around the precinct that Visconti and Taylor said that whoever did this to Bruno better be careful...I told it to Casso [and] First Casso said, we don't have to watch out. They'd better watch out. And then within a month they were dead."
On February 5, 1991, at approximately 10:30 PM, Laurence Taylor (31y) was shot to death while sitting in his car in Canarsie, Brooklyn. Shooters were Proposed Associates Patrick 'Patty' Dello Russo and Thomas 'Tommy Red' Anzeulotto. Acting Boss Alfonso D'Arco, D'Arco's Acting Captain Louis Daidone and Captain Frank Lastorino supervised. (The following month Anzeulotto and Dello Russo were inducted for their role in the murder.)
On January 11, 1991 an NYPD Memorandum on the subject was issued. LE later testified: "[Memo] indicates that Bruno was a crew chief for many years, and basically a lot of people were mad regarding Bruno being killed...It indicates that Louis Facciolo and Laurence Taylor and Al Visconti would be part of a crew that are going to revenge the murder of Bruno."
Around this time Kaplan met with Detective Eppolito: "[Eppolito] says there is word going around the precinct that Visconti and Taylor said that whoever did this to Bruno better be careful...I told it to Casso [and] First Casso said, we don't have to watch out. They'd better watch out. And then within a month they were dead."
On February 5, 1991, at approximately 10:30 PM, Laurence Taylor (31y) was shot to death while sitting in his car in Canarsie, Brooklyn. Shooters were Proposed Associates Patrick 'Patty' Dello Russo and Thomas 'Tommy Red' Anzeulotto. Acting Boss Alfonso D'Arco, D'Arco's Acting Captain Louis Daidone and Captain Frank Lastorino supervised. (The following month Anzeulotto and Dello Russo were inducted for their role in the murder.)
![]() |
| A. Visconti |
On March 26, 1991 Alfred Visconti (51y) was shot to death inside the lobby of his apartment building at 2020 E 41st St in Flatlands. Hit once in foot, once in groin and multiple times in head. Shooters were Lucchese Associates Peter Argentina and Michael DeVito, with Lucchese Soldier Ray Argentina and Associate Eugene 'Boopsy' Castelle on scene as backup. D'Arco and Daidone again supervised.
Bobby Borriello Murder (Apr. 1991)
![]() |
| B. Borriello |
Kaplan: "In 1991, Casso was still looking to assassinate Bobby Boriello and I met with Steve [Caracappa] and I said, Steve, is it possible that you could get me a new address on Bobby Borriello because they -- Gaspipe can't seem to find him on the addresses that he has. And Steve says, let me see what I could do. And I met him the next day. He beeped me and he gave me Bobby Boriello's new address."
On April 13, 1991, at approximately 3:30 PM, Bartholomew Borriello (46y) murdered in driveway of his residence on Bay 29th St in Bath Beach. Shot multiple times in body and head by assailant firing .380 caliber automatic handgun. Deputy Police Chief stated to press: "All of the bullets shot made contact." Lucchese Captain Frank Lastorino believed acted as shooter. Co-conspirators included Captain Robert Amuso.
On April 13, 1991, at approximately 3:30 PM, Bartholomew Borriello (46y) murdered in driveway of his residence on Bay 29th St in Bath Beach. Shot multiple times in body and head by assailant firing .380 caliber automatic handgun. Deputy Police Chief stated to press: "All of the bullets shot made contact." Lucchese Captain Frank Lastorino believed acted as shooter. Co-conspirators included Captain Robert Amuso.
Attempted Murder of Herman Tabak (Jeweler Number One) (1990s)
In early 1990s Kaplan solicited the murder of Herman Tabak, a jeweler previously involved with Kaplan in the 1985 Treasury bill deal that resulted in the murder of Tabak's associate Israel Greenwald.
Grave dug ahead of time on property of drug partner Ray Fontaine but attempt unsuccessful: "[Eppolito told me] that when [they] went up to arrest the guy, the guy leapt up a flight of stairs and he says -- they told the guy he was under arrest and the guy was walking down the stairs and all of a sudden the guy went crazy and he -- Louie is a pretty heavy guy and Louie said I can't believe it. The skinny guy almost threw me over the banister and he broke free and he ran out in the street and he started yelling, they're trying to kill me, they're trying to kill me. And Louie and Steve ran away. Got in their van and drove away."
Casso IDs Cops (c. June 1992)
Kaplan:
"
"
What happened when he was on the lam, he had plenty of free time and he went into a store and he bought a copy of Louie's book, Mafia Cop, which is the cause of all of our problems...He read it and he saw pictures in the book and he says, 'This looks like the two guys that were in the Toys 'R' Us, he says, that's really them isn't it?
I said, Anthony, I'm not going to get into that. I would never tell you their names, I says. You can surmise anything you want.
I said, Anthony, I'm not going to get into that. I would never tell you their names, I says. You can surmise anything you want.
"
(Mafia Cop: The Story of an Honest Cop Whose Family was the Mob was published in June 1992.)
(Mafia Cop: The Story of an Honest Cop Whose Family was the Mob was published in June 1992.)
Anthony Casso Arrest (Jan. 1993)
On January 16, 1993 Kaplan dropped Casso's wife off at unspecified shopping mall to meet with her husband.
On January 18 Kaplan retrieved the wife and warned Casso of possible law enforcement surveillance.
![]() |
| A. Casso Arrest (Jan 1993) |
The following day Casso arrested at a friend's residence in Mount Olive, New Jersey.
Plot against Burt Kaplan (c. Jan. 1993)
After his arrest Casso began plotting against Kaplan:
"
I was harboring, helping harbor Anthony Casso when he was on the lam from the government. I used to meet him, I used to take his wife to him, and the last time I had -- was taking his wife to him, we stopped at a hotel because I had to go to the bathroom.
...[I] got out of the car, she stood in the car, and I seen two gentleman in a car who to me definitely resembled FBI agents, you know, the typical sunglasses and the unmarked car with the antennas, and I looked at them and I went in and used the bathroom and when I came out, I said to her, I said to Lillian Casso, I said, I think there's FBI agents in the parking lot.
And I drove by them and let her see them and then I said, I think we should drive around for a half hour an hour or so before we meet Anthony and see if I could spot anybody tailing me. And I took her to a parking lot in a shopping mall, and I let her out and I told her tell her husband what I said about seeing the people, and I would drive away and he would come and meet her or send somebody to meet her and take her to where she was.
When I saw him Monday, when I picked up his wife to take her home -- this originally started on a Saturday -- and I met him in the parking lot of the same shopping mall, and I said, Anthony, I think you should be careful because it looks like to me there was definitely agents there and the hotel room was under my name and I think he should be very careful.
And the next day he got arrested, and the fact that I warned him, he put it in his head that I was the one who gave him up, and he put a contract out on me...Unbeknownst to me, he put out a contract on me, which I didn't find out about until I was arrested in '96. When I went to MDC and I was locked up, three or four other people told me they had pleaded to the conspiracy to kill me for Anthony Casso.
...Georgie Zappola told me that he was given a contract by Anthony Casso to kill me.
...[I] got out of the car, she stood in the car, and I seen two gentleman in a car who to me definitely resembled FBI agents, you know, the typical sunglasses and the unmarked car with the antennas, and I looked at them and I went in and used the bathroom and when I came out, I said to her, I said to Lillian Casso, I said, I think there's FBI agents in the parking lot.
And I drove by them and let her see them and then I said, I think we should drive around for a half hour an hour or so before we meet Anthony and see if I could spot anybody tailing me. And I took her to a parking lot in a shopping mall, and I let her out and I told her tell her husband what I said about seeing the people, and I would drive away and he would come and meet her or send somebody to meet her and take her to where she was.
When I saw him Monday, when I picked up his wife to take her home -- this originally started on a Saturday -- and I met him in the parking lot of the same shopping mall, and I said, Anthony, I think you should be careful because it looks like to me there was definitely agents there and the hotel room was under my name and I think he should be very careful.
And the next day he got arrested, and the fact that I warned him, he put it in his head that I was the one who gave him up, and he put a contract out on me...Unbeknownst to me, he put out a contract on me, which I didn't find out about until I was arrested in '96. When I went to MDC and I was locked up, three or four other people told me they had pleaded to the conspiracy to kill me for Anthony Casso.
...Georgie Zappola told me that he was given a contract by Anthony Casso to kill me.
"
Kaplan named others in the murder plot as Lucchese Soldier Frank 'Frankie Bones' Papagni and Associate Michael 'Smurf' Bloome.
Also stated: "I happen to be a very good driver with watching my mirrors and making U-turns and that's why Casso never got to kill me. No one could pretty much follow me."
Kaplan named others in the murder plot as Lucchese Soldier Frank 'Frankie Bones' Papagni and Associate Michael 'Smurf' Bloome.
Also stated: "I happen to be a very good driver with watching my mirrors and making U-turns and that's why Casso never got to kill me. No one could pretty much follow me."
Kaplan as Fugitive (Mar. 1994)
Around March 1994 Kaplan received a call from his lawyer notifying him that Anthony Casso was cooperating.
Kaplan immediately made arrangements to leave the country and spent the next several months in Mexico.
From there he spent time in Portland, Oregon and in Las Vegas and New York.
Casso voided his cooperation agreement and Kaplan returned to New York to resume his legal and illegal businesses.
Narcotics Arrest and Conviction (Sep. 1996)
Kaplan stated that Bonanno Associate Fred Puglisi was 'probably my main customer' in his marijuana business.
Puglisi was a member of Bonanno Captain Frank Lino's crew and reported directly to Lino.
Associates of Puglisi included Robert 'Bobby' Molini, who once asked for and was denied an introduction to Kaplan.
Molini became a cooperating witness and provided information on Kaplan's drug operation.
On September 6, 1996 Kaplan was arrested on a Federal narcotics warrant.
The arresting Agent later testified: "After placing Mr. Kaplan under arrest, he asked if he could call his attorney. I said sure. At which point he opened a black telephone directory and began dialing a number, at which point I went over, looked over his shoulder to see who he was calling and what number he was looking up, and one of the things that struck me was the name Frank Bellino with a Cortelyou Avenue address. From my background, I knew Frankie Bellino to be a Lucchese soldier. I also remembered that there [was] the notation Hot. Frankie Hot Bellino and Frank Bellino's street name, he had a nickname of Frankie Heart. So I knew that to be the same guy and I basically told Mr. Kaplan I was going to seize the book."
Entries included imprisoned Lucchese Boss Vittorio Amuso, imprisoned Lucchese Acting Captain Nicola DiCostanzo, Gambino Acting Captain Leonard DiMaria, Lucchese Soldier Frank Bellino, imprisoned Bonanno Soldier Gerald 'Jerry' Chilli, Colombo Soldier Gerard 'Jerry' Clemenza, imprisoned Associate and Former DeMeo Crew Member Henry Borelli as well as coded entries related to Former NYPD Detectives Caracappa and Eppolito.
Kaplan's close associate Thomas Galpine was also charged.
Robert Molini was the key witness against them and, according to Kaplan, lied on the stand:
"
[The] government put a piece of evidence, a big bale of marijuana and wheeled it in on a shopping cart, and they made a big deal out of Bobby Molini identifying it.
They said to him, Whose pot is this? And he said Kaplan's, and he said because it's this shape and that size, and in reality it wasn't my pot. The grade was 50 percent as good as what I had sold [Fred] Puglisi.
And Tommy Galpine, who was my co-defendant, he looked at it and he said -- he was much more of an expert with marijuana than me -- and he said this is not our marijuana.
And so all during the trial this exhibit got wheeled in every day and every day the jury said that's Kaplan's pot and it wasn't.
And he also claimed he knew me, which was a lie. He knew of me [and he] wanted to be introduced to me at an affair that I attended, Mickey Sutter's wedding, and Fred Puglisi had a table next to ours, and he said, Bobby Molini wants to meet you. Do you want to meet him?
I said, very honestly, Freddy, I have no reason to meet him, and I don't want to meet him and I never was introduced to him. The only thing he knew about me is that Freddy used to come to my warehouse or my house to visit me and make arrangements to continue doing business, or sometimes to bring me money, and Bobby Molini drove in the car with him but he never had a conversation with me, never was in my house or my warehouse.
They said to him, Whose pot is this? And he said Kaplan's, and he said because it's this shape and that size, and in reality it wasn't my pot. The grade was 50 percent as good as what I had sold [Fred] Puglisi.
And Tommy Galpine, who was my co-defendant, he looked at it and he said -- he was much more of an expert with marijuana than me -- and he said this is not our marijuana.
And so all during the trial this exhibit got wheeled in every day and every day the jury said that's Kaplan's pot and it wasn't.
And he also claimed he knew me, which was a lie. He knew of me [and he] wanted to be introduced to me at an affair that I attended, Mickey Sutter's wedding, and Fred Puglisi had a table next to ours, and he said, Bobby Molini wants to meet you. Do you want to meet him?
I said, very honestly, Freddy, I have no reason to meet him, and I don't want to meet him and I never was introduced to him. The only thing he knew about me is that Freddy used to come to my warehouse or my house to visit me and make arrangements to continue doing business, or sometimes to bring me money, and Bobby Molini drove in the car with him but he never had a conversation with me, never was in my house or my warehouse.
"
Kaplan was convicted at trial and sentenced to twenty-seven years. Galpine received approximately seventeen years.
Around 2003 Anthony Casso, now serving a life sentence, had a phone conversation with Kaplan's lawyer during preparations for a motion to have Kaplan's 1997 conviction thrown out. Casso admitted he had spoken with witness Robert Molini about Kaplan prior to Molini's testimony. Casso told the attorney that Molini had then testified against Kaplan, falsely claiming Casso's knowledge as his own.
Kaplan was convicted at trial and sentenced to twenty-seven years. Galpine received approximately seventeen years.
Around 2003 Anthony Casso, now serving a life sentence, had a phone conversation with Kaplan's lawyer during preparations for a motion to have Kaplan's 1997 conviction thrown out. Casso admitted he had spoken with witness Robert Molini about Kaplan prior to Molini's testimony. Casso told the attorney that Molini had then testified against Kaplan, falsely claiming Casso's knowledge as his own.
Reason for Cooperating (March 2005)
Around that time an investigation into the former Detectives' activities had ramped up and Kaplan was visited in prison by various members of law enforcement.
He agreed to cooperate and officially signed the agreement in March 2005.
About a month later Thomas Galpine did the same.
Asked why he chose to defect after refusing so many previous overtures to cooperate, Kaplan testified: "I felt that over nine years had passed plus three that I was on the lam and I seen a lot of things happening in New York with guys rolling and becoming informants and I felt with all the heat that was going on over this particular case, I felt that Steve and Louie were going to be indicted in the state and that was just my opinion, and that if they were indicted in the state, I felt that one of them or both of them would make a deal and then I would be the defendant and they would be here on the witness stand. It was a very, very hard decision for me but I made it."
![]() |
| L. Eppolito (L) and S. Caracappa The Associated Press |
Former Detectives Stephen Caracappa and Louis Eppolito were both convicted and ultimately sentenced to life. They died while serving those sentences in 2017 and 2019 respectively.
Burt Kaplan died in 2009, only a couple of years after securing their convictions.
Anthony Casso died while serving his own life sentence in December 2020.
Burt Kaplan died in 2009, only a couple of years after securing their convictions.
Anthony Casso died while serving his own life sentence in December 2020.
More Lucchese Family posts can be found in the Index.


































